Thread: Manzanita Vase

Manzanita Vase

Hi all,

I wanted to share my first attempt at turning a vase (and hollowing anything deep). It's about 11" tall and 7" wide - somewhat beyond the range of what I should have turned on my little Rikon 1216 with only an 3/8" bowl gouge to do all the work.

But it was fun and nerve racking. I definitely have a Monster system on my things to buy list after attempting this thing. I wasn't really able to hollow it out correctly, but I like the overall shape

Man_Stump.jpg
    Man_Outer.jpg
    Copy of Man_Wrapped.jpg
    Man_Hollowing.jpg

Man_Finished.jpg

Man_Finished1.jpg

Wow that is one seriously large piece of wood for that lathe, how many hp is that rikon? Very nice outcome for you though, great job on that vase. Is Manzanita a hard wood to turn?

Nice job - pretty gutsy with a bowl gouge and that little Rikon - did the job though! Pretty piece of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Manansala View Post
    beyond the range of what I should have turned on my little Rikon 1216 with only an 3/8" bowl gouge to do all the work. I wasn't really able to hollow it out correctly
    On the contrary! I am the first to expound the virtues of hollowing rigs and such, but learning to hollow with a bowl gouge is very important and I think that it is often faster than using a hollowing rig. Watching how Richard Raffan can hollow with nothing but a bowl gouge in just a few strokes is incredible - he is done hollowing an off to finishing before a hollowing system could even be set up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Thiebaut View Post
    Wow that is one seriously large piece of wood for that lathe, how many hp is that rikon?
    That was my first thought at looking through the pictures - what a great workout for that lathe!

The form looks great - the voids, cracks and tight burls are really attractive. I like the shape you gave it - even if you are not satisfied with the hollowing. Thin walls and perfect hollowing is mostly only appreciated by other turners anyway! I do not know what the bevel looks like on your bowl gouge, but a steeper bevel and grinding off the heal may help you get that inner profile you are looking for. Of course, judging by the quality of your turning and the use of techniques like wrapping with tape to keep the thing from becoming shrapnel you probably already know all about bevel angles.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

That looks really good, Art!! All the more impressive that it was all done just with a 3/8" bowl gouge. Be sure to bring it to our March gathering!

Art, Let me be the first to say " darn nice vase. Considering your lathe and the use of a bowl gouge for the inside it is quite a nice piece. In looking through the pictures I sure hope you have variable speed on your lathe or you would be chasing it all over the shop. Excellent thinking on the duct tape. I suspect it would have flown apart without it. Very nice final outcome. After turning your first vase I can see into your future: Bigger lathe, more tools such as a hollowing system, steady rest, and the beat goes on. LOL. Guess I am not the first.

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. The rikon is 1/2 HP. I didn't have much problems with it stalling and am happy with the overall performance. The main issue was vibration. I stood on the stand to keep it still.

The Manzanita was very hard to turn. It's full of gaps, extremely hard sections and pockets of mud. In the whole process I always was cutting air - so I got pounded from start to finish. It was a workout but fun as all get out!!

Jon - thanks for info about the bevel on the gouge. I did grind it off to get it out of the way. Greg Ketell did a very similar (and very beautiful) piece last year with wood from the same source. It's where I got the tape idea:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...m-afraid!-quot
    Last edited by John Keeton; 02-16-2011 at 5:57 PM.

Nice job. If I didn't see the finished product I would say your lathe bit off more than it could chew.