Thread: Pool table info needed

Blog Entries

Pool table info needed

Well guys, my bar room is nearing completion as I am in the stage of applying finish on the vast amount of oak in the room. One of the big things next on the list is purchasing a pool table. I've always wanted a pool table, but have never had one. I'm not that "up" on what to look for in a quality pool table so I'm hoping there are some pseudo experts out there who may clue me in on what to look for. What am I looking for in the slate and the corner pocket construction and anything else that I might want to check out. Thanks in advance.

Fred
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Hi Fred:

A few years ago, I bought a pool table. I did alot of internet searching and got a lot of info -- actually too much.

You will not find any single slate pool tables sold anymore. They are just too heavy. Today, three piece slate tables are the norm. You want a full 1 inch slate table. The balls don't know the difference between 3/4 inch and 1 inch but the extra weight of the table will keep the balls rolling true.

The second item you want to look for is the looks. You will look at this table far more than you will be playing on it, so buy something that looks good and fits the decor of your home. I know this sounds a bit frivolous, but the company that sold me my table directed me this way and I have to say he was correct.

Pockets, stay away from those frilly tassels. They wear out quickly and fray and consequently look old fast.

When I was looking at tables I looked at AE Schmidt, Gandy, Brunswick, Olhausen, AMF and one other one (the guy that sold his company to AMF started another pool table company, can't remember his name, but is a good table as well). I chose AMF Playmaster because of the service I get when I need something. The business is local and I have been very happy.

Using the above mentioned manufactureres, you can't go wrong. Pool tables are not rockets. Once they are leveled, they all play the same. Choose looks and service over the names.

Frank,

What are you looking to spend? That will help give you some idea what to look at. There are tables that range anywhere from $200(Sears - please do not buy, you will probably not be happy) to $50,000(hand carved, you won't see this at the local billiards supply store) and the average is going to be $2,000 to $5,000. You also have to consider the size room you have available. Tables come in 7 ft, 8 ft, 8.5 ft, and 9 ft lengths. The average household usually has an 8 ft, which is a good size for an average player. The 9 ft in the professional size and can really be difficult for an average player.

You also want to look at the construction of the table. Go for something made of solid wood, not plywood or the likes, it really makes a difference. The table I recomend is Connelly, if you want something that will last a lifetime. Also as Joe said the Brunswick and the Olhausen are great tables as well.

I worked for a pool hall/ Billiard supply company while I was in college so if you have specific questions you want answered let me know.

Chris

Fred:

A couple other points. I like leather pockets. The other mfr that I could not remember was C.L Bailey, good table. The difference between the Bailey table and the AMF table is the table support/bracing for the slate on the AMF is solid wood and the Bailey table is laminated wood. The cabinet joinery is a little different also.

Also, when I bought my table, I upgraded to Belgian Balls. There is a difference from the cheaper balls that come with most tables.
    Hope this helps
    Joe

Blog Entries
    Hey Fred,
    Why not just build you one? After all you are a woodworker aren't you?
    I have no place to put one or I would build me one. One of these days my son will be buying a bigger house and I will build him one. There are many plans out there and many places to buy the hardware and slate. Sorry I don't have any links for you but they are out there.

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lee
    Frank,

What are you looking to spend? That will help give you some idea what to look at. There are tables that range anywhere from $200(Sears - please do not buy, you will probably not be happy) to $50,000(hand carved, you won't see this at the local billiards supply store) and the average is going to be $2,000 to $5,000. You also have to consider the size room you have available. Tables come in 7 ft, 8 ft, 8.5 ft, and 9 ft lengths. The average household usually has an 8 ft, which is a good size for an average player. The 9 ft in the professional size and can really be difficult for an average player.

You also want to look at the construction of the table. Go for something made of solid wood, not plywood or the likes, it really makes a difference. The table I recomend is Connelly, if you want something that will last a lifetime. Also as Joe said the Brunswick and the Olhausen are great tables as well.

I worked for a pool hall/ Billiard supply company while I was in college so if you have specific questions you want answered let me know.

Chris
    Chris, I was hoping to keep the price somewhere in the $2,500 to $3,000 range, though I may go a tad higher if need be. And long ago when I was still in the infant stages of the room planning, I needed to plan exactly where the pool table was going to be located so that I could locate the lighting fixture box and wiring. At that time, I downloaded a "spacing chart" for the different pool table sizes so that I was assured that the table would fit where I wanted it to be located. I will be purchasing an 8' table. So - would three grand get me a decent table?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    Hey Fred,
    Why not just build you one? After all you are a woodworker aren't you?
    I have no place to put one or I would build me one. One of these days my son will be buying a bigger house and I will build him one. There are many plans out there and many places to buy the hardware and slate. Sorry I don't have any links for you but they are out there.

Larry
    That certainly is a thought Larry, but it is also one challenge that I don't think I'm up to as of yet. After putting so much effort into making the room such a nice place to spend our recreational time, I don't think I want to chance building anything less in quality than I can purchase much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees
    Chris, I was hoping to keep the price somewhere in the $2,500 to $3,000 range, though I may go a tad higher if need be. And long ago when I was still in the infant stages of the room planning, I needed to plan exactly where the pool table was going to be located so that I could locate the lighting fixture box and wiring. At that time, I downloaded a "spacing chart" for the different pool table sizes so that I was assured that the table would fit where I wanted it to be located. I will be purchasing an 8' table. So - would three grand get me a decent table?
    Fred, 3K should be enough to get you a nice table. As already said, there’s not much difference in the better brands so get one that you can live with. I don’t think you should limit yourself to 1” slate either, our Brunswick is 3/4" slate and it plays very well.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-20-2005 at 6:46 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Fred,

I rebuilt an old AMF and it was one great table. I think the older Brunswicks and AMF's played the best...Murray is another good old one.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

owuldl ike to ask an ungoogled question, if I can get away with being lazy. Assuming one built their own table, one would need slate (probably special), rails, pocket liners, fabric, pockets, and probalby some other specialized, non-wood harware. So, assuming that one had wood on hand, what would the special items, of good quality, run if one were to build thier own table.
    This is a question jsut out of curiosity, but I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of these special items were quite a bit.
    Alan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    owuldl ike to ask an ungoogled question, if I can get away with being lazy. Assuming one built their own table, one would need slate (probably special), rails, pocket liners, fabric, pockets, and probalby some other specialized, non-wood harware. So, assuming that one had wood on hand, what would the special items, of good quality, run if one were to build thier own table.
    This is a question jsut out of curiosity, but I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of these special items were quite a bit.
    Alan
    Alan, this situation was one of the other bigger issues that I just didn't want to deal with. I can easily imagine that by the time you add up purchasing all of the specialized items needed to build a pool table, you could have gotten off cheaper simply buying a quality piece.

Fred,

2500 to 3000 grand will get you a good 8 ft table. Check your local yellowpages and you should be able to find some local table dealers that should have quita a few 8 ft. tables to meet your needs. I looked at a website, I think it was pooltablesUSA or the like and they look like great tables for a good price. Either way you can't really go wrong in that price range. You might also check the local pool halls. Most of them will know where to get good tables for good money. Good Luck with the new addiction!

Alan,
    I have done some research on building my own table and it really is not all that expensive. I think the main thing is the time consumed to build it. It is definitely not a weekend project. I think if you could only work on it part time you would probably be looking at 2 or 3 months of work. But it would be well worth it. I think you could probably build a table for 1700 to 2200 depending on the type of wood you wanted and the design. You can get the slate from a couple places online for 400 to 600 depending on what size of table. The cloth will run you between 150 and 200 depending on type, packets will cost 100 to 350 depending on how fancy. I figure probably 500 bucks in wood. The only real expensive wood would be that for the main body of the table. You are looking at probably 6/4 or 8/4 and 12" by 9 ft or so. And you would need 3 of them. That's not cheap! Plus you have some pretty detailed cuts depending on your design. Then you will be looking at another 500 or so for cushins, rails, hardware, finishing etc. and the normal stuff that goes in to woodworking. It really is not all that hard, mostly basic woodworking skills. The big thing is you are building a table that would easily sell for double what it cost you to build and you are getting quality. Wifey says I can't build one until I finish tha basement so we are a year or so away, but I will get there.

Chris

The size of your room is important...

Make a layout of the table size on the floor. Add the length of the pool cue to all sides. Don't fudge on the room you need. If you could fit a tournament size table, 4.5x9, I'd do it. Here is a tip. The tables with cabriole legs are not as stable as a standard leg table. Even the best will wobble when bumped. I also agree with the one inch slate minimun. And, look and compare how the felt is fitted in the showroom models. Post your results. Good luck.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Alan
    One option that I have considered and is on my retirement to-do list is to simply rebuild my Brunswick using the OEM parts as templates. You could make it as simple or elaborate as you like.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees
    Fred,
    If you have a 14' x 18' space you can go with a 4.5' x 9' size table. $3,000 will get you some of the best tables made if you are willing to shop in the used market. You can buy used Gold Crown II's and III's all day long for less than that. Sometimes, they go as low as $1500-. Newer Brunswicks are no longer made in the U.S. Olhausen also makes an excellent home table made in the U.S. You might even find a Diamond pro table out there for less than $3000-. IMHO, Diamonds are the best table made, and are still made in the U.S. You will find that you will get a much better deal on a used table than on a new one, unless you are willing to buy one at one of the tournament venues where the tables are sold to be picked up or shipped to you after the event. The biggest pro level tournament in the world; the Derby City Classic in Louisville, KY just ended tonight, and some of the Professional tables might still be on sale. You can check out the Derby City Classic website and contact them to find out. The Diamond Professional tables used at the tournament are priced quite a bit less than retail, and are available with a matching cabinet light. I have just put a call in to find out if any are still available. I should know the answer tonight, and will let you know as soon as possible. You can also check out the Diamond Billiards website to find out more info about their tables. If you are not interested in a big table, and would rather have a 3.5' x 7' or a 4' x 8' table, they also offer them as well.
    The US Open 9-ball Championships in Norfolk, VA in September is another event where the Professional tables are sold. The tables for the 2005 event will go on sale in August. Just click on the "Diamond Tables" link on the navigation bar.
    If you decide to buy a table, please do not hesitate to communicate with me throughout the process. I will offer up all the help possible.
    If you would like to build your own, check out pool table plans for all you will need to know about that issue.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 01-22-2005 at 11:53 PM.
    Ted Harris
    Hollywood, Florida USA