Thread: I need your help please..........

Question I need your help please..........

I have applied a dark stain to an exterior door that is way...too dark. What can I apply to remove it instead of sanding? Is there such a thing as stain remover? Please help me all you stain gurus....please...
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Little help

The only partial remedy I know is to flush with Mineral spirits and rub/wipe vigorously. This will lighten it a bit. Then sand and repeat . I know of no stain remover. Good Luck...Ideally, this should be done before the stain "dries". No easy solution.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    The only partial remedy I know is to flush with Mineral spirits and rub/wipe vigorously. This will lighten it a bit. Then sand and repeat . I know of no stain remover. Good Luck...Ideally, this should be done before the stain "dries". No easy solution.
    Thanks Jerry. Unfortunately, I tried this, and it didn't work. Fortunately for me, when the homeowner got home he loved the dark color!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Next time you have a similar problem and have not put finish on, use some Laquer thinner. It should take most of the stain off, provided it's a pigmented wiping stain, which most commercial stain is.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Kelly
    Next time you have a similar problem and have not put finish on, use some Laquer thinner. It should take most of the stain off, provided it's a pigmented wiping stain, which most commercial stain is.
    I'll keep that in mind Earl. I used Minwax. I don't know if it is a pigmented stain or not. Thanks for the advice.

Benito Juarez

Don't know what wood your'e using.....Most drastic measure would be wood bleach if sanding won't lighten it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White
    Don't know what wood your'e using.....Most drastic measure would be wood bleach if sanding won't lighten it up.
    Thank goodness that the owner liked the color. Had he not liked it, I would have had to have sanded the door to bare wood. Once I noticed that the stain was too dark, it was too late to lighten it with mineral spirits ( I tried to no avail).

Benito Juarez