Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software

Software

Is there any good software out there short of cad to design a piece and then be able to print and show to prospective clients your concept? I am computer savvy to an extent but am looking for something alittle easier then cad. Thanks

Search through here for "SketchUp" - you'll find a lot of good information and examples. Free version available from Google. Pro version adds some more features.

Even has video tutorials that will explain the basics and get you up and running quickly.

CAD - Computer Aided Design. It's hard to have one without the other.
    Pad & pencil?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    CAD - Computer Aided Design. It's hard to have one without the other.
    Pad & pencil?
    I quess I meant Autocad Bruce. But really you didn't understand the question? Or did you just feel compelled to answer in a condescending way. I would expect you to moderate these types of comments not initiate them.

Thanks Thomas. I will look into it.

Blog Entries
    Paul,

I don't think Bruce was being intentionally obtuse about it, and I kinda understand his point... you're asking for CAD capabilities without the learning curve of CAD. Those are some opposing specs, but SketchUp is probably the best you'll get from both worlds. I'm a fan of DoubleCAD as it's free and has the same functionality as AutoCAD... but to get that functionality, you have to sacrifice a bit of learning curve time.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I'm sorry Paul, I really did not mean that as a wise crack. I was just perplexed as to how someone could do cad design without investing the time to learn. If you had asked which cad program was easiest to learn, that would have brought a different answer.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Paul,

I don't think Bruce was being intentionally obtuse about it, and I kinda understand his point... you're asking for CAD capabilities without the learning curve of CAD. Those are some opposing specs, but SketchUp is probably the best you'll get from both worlds. I'm a fan of DoubleCAD as it's free and has the same functionality as AutoCAD... but to get that functionality, you have to sacrifice a bit of learning curve time.
    Thanks Dan. Does DoubleCAD come with a decent tutorial? I need to invest the time in this. I was just looking for something a little easier than AutoCad. I have drawn my designs in the past with success which is why I have decided to open a business even in this economy. I am no dummy, I was just looking to move into the present.

Understandable. But I am willing to learn, just need to learn fast. So what is your answer to the question you pose? I just need to get into this century. Pencil and paper have served me well in the past which is why I decided to open a business. I recently had a customer who wanted a wine cellar. I designed, built, and installed it for him and now he wants to approach all the major housing builders in the area with this concept. Which is good since business is slow but I need this to show the builders a layout of my designs. I know it will be a learning process and am willing to take the time to make it happen. I need to. Looking forward to your answer.

Blog Entries
    Paul,

Most of the 2D CAD programs will operate similarly... if you're used to one, moving to another is a matter of finding where the appropriate menus are. If you're new to them all, you need to add in determining what functions you need before finding the menu they're contained in. It's not complicated, but it's slow. I would suggest picking up an inexpensive book on AutoCAD LT... not to work with AutoCAD LT, but to get a feel for what simple tools will generally be available to you in most CAD programs. Make it a thin book meant for beginners. Remember, you just want to know what tools are available, not necessarily how to use them with a specific program.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Paul, I only have practical experience with 3 cad programs, (all through my work) Pro Engineer which has a steep learning curve, Solid Works, and 2D AutoCAD. Both Pro E and SW are industrial grade, costing many thousands and last time I looked AutoCAD LT was ~$1500

Andy Rooney

Check out Visual CADD at http://www.tritools.com/

They have a 30 day fully functional version. It is a very intuitive program that you can use two letter commands or icons with. Scripting ability and a strong online support forum. Did I mention it is reasonably priced?

I have no interest in the company just a satisfied user.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Try DeltaCad.

I've tried a lot of them and DeltaCad was the easiest to learn. There are more powerful 2D Cad programs out there, but this meets my needs and the price is right ($40.00). Free demo is available. I have no connections with this company - just a satisfied user for several years.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

I use AutoCAD and Inventor at work. I have used AutoCAD for 20+ years. I never have liked drawing 3D in AutoCAD. I use Inventor for 3D.

If you want to design in 3D, I do not recommend AutoCAD. If you want 3D but don't want to spend a lot of money, I recommend you check out SketchUp first. It is a free download and does some nice stuff for a free program, plus you can find a lot of tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Tinsen View Post
    design a piece and then be able to print and show to prospective clients your concept?
    For all those suggesting 2D CAD options for this, I'd tend to disagree. For being able to show something to a client, I wouldn't consider anything but 3D. A majority of the people out there really aren't going to be able to visualize it any other way. So my original suggestion of SketchUp still stands. You're not going to get anything else that combines the ability, ease of learning, and price - even if you go with the Pro version.