Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Software

Let me preface this with the fact I use Sketch-Up, Rhino and Aspire to do 3D designs, drawings and programing for a CNC router. In the end if I print or send the client a preview, it's still a flat image. It's still easier to draw in two dimensions than three. Ease of use is a very subjective term. So is price, because it doesn't include time spent learning. Free is sometimes worth what you pay for it!

"be able to print and show to prospective clients your concept"

If it's printed or on a computer screen isn't it still going to be two dimensional?
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Go with Sketchup. It is the simplest to use, its 3D, and there are tons of internet instructional videos. Even so you need to invest some time, and if you have never used a CAD program it will take a while. And I disagree with Tony. Its not easier to draw in two dimensions. Two dimensions do not convey information effectively. You need perspective and no one wants to do drawings like we learned in junior high / high school drafting class. 3D lets you think like you do when you do woodworking.

Have you thought about paying someone else to do the details for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    In the end if I print or send the client a preview, it's still a flat image. It's still easier to draw in two dimensions than three.
    Trying to draw a 3D object in 2D CAD using perspective or parallel projection is a nightmare, as far as I'm concerned. Much easier to draw it in SketchUp and be able to rotate the object around for multiple views and such.

If you do go with SketchUp, which is what I would have also recommended, I suggest you check out Bob Lang's (editor at Popular Woodworking) video tutorials on SketchUp. There were 2 videos, a beginners and and advanced. I think they were about $50. I struggled a bit initially trying to learn SketchUp using a book and even the Sketchup online tutorials. But, it really clicked with me on Bob's videos since he teaches the tool using woodworking projects.

From what you describe of the project, I believe that is readily doable in SketchUp. And with Sketchup you can easily rotate, pan, etc to show the project from different views.

Looks like lots of people know about auto cad. I assume theirs more that have auto and not sketch-up on there laptops too, just a thought. On the other hand I have it and its very user friendly. If its more for a visual reference rather than having several people working from plan and software. Id definitely go for it. If your clients are willing to fork out good money for your plans they'll down load the software just to see what they have on there own time, for free. I'm still a little slow with program but still satisfied with results.
    another picture of crusible.PNG
    example: I'm fitting an oven for a crucible, pot is cut in half back side just like oven, it solves lots of problems when you can see in the round. Squares, blocks much easier.Click and its a frame/solid opaque etc.