Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How many of you that do woodworkng for a living still enjoy it?

Wow, old thread.

I've been on my own since 2004, woodworking has been my only job since 1998. If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I could do it. There has been some really tough years. Some really scary decisions made, and a lot of capital laid out.

Building a business is hard. One in the trades, doubly so. This year is the first year that I really feel like my shop has been a success. Some new clientele and some really crazy projects has improved my attitude greatly. But, growth creates a whole new batch of problems. There's not enough man power to get things done, so I need another body, but there isn't anywhere to put one. So the answer is moving. But that means downtime, and in my case, building a new building and tripling my production space and picking up a lot of debt. Debt equals risk, and another scary decision.

If you can do it, great. But it's most likely not going to equal you rolling in the dough, and lots of time off. Most who are self employed do so to get ahead in life, but I think most do it to be in control of their own fate and fortune.

Nothing has changed since my post on page one. I still think I should have stayed in college...........

Larry

As a 30+ year business owner, I can tell you struggling in business is just as stressful as succeeding.

What I mean is being slow can be as bad as being swamped.

If you're doing what you truly love, they'll be no regrets even if you don't get rich.

The real problem is we have swallowed the American definition of success: money, assets, and status.

Its all because we have an economy based on consumption and accumulation. Greed is at the core of it all.