Thread: Lost my post - not logged in

Lost my post - not logged in

This is probably directed to Aaron . . .

I was on the Engravers Forum, logged in, and posted a message. Then I was viewing in the CNC machines forum. I don't usually post there but there was one item I felt able to contribute to. So I spent some time creating a message to post - when I posted, it said I was not logged in. Sure enough, I had become "logged out" for some reason. No big deal - but my post was lost. When I tried to go back my post was not there. Did I do something wrong? Is there a way to recover the post if I was inadvertently not logged in? Why did it let me reply in the first place if I was NOT logged in?

I spent quite some time writing the post so it was annoying to lose it.

BTW, thanks for all your efforts on the forum.

After 30 minutes of inactivity vBulletin will automatically log you out.
    Unfortunately typing a message isn't considered being active.
    If the system didn't log people out we would have ten thousand people connected and no resources or the server would crash.

Aaron can probably provide a better answer than mine but he may not see your thread as he doesn't read every post here. Feel free to send him a Private Message if you want him to respond.

Richard I normally copy my text to the clipboard often when I am writing a long response just in case. Hope this helps.

Hi Keith - I can understand that it you may need to log me out, but I did not see a way of logging in and capturing the message for sending. Maybe I did something wrong. If the system logs me out that is okay but it should not erase my message in process. At least that is what happened to me; perhaps with the right keypresses I could have got the message back. There is no way for me to experiment with it. I recall pressing the "back" button and the message was gone, so I could not do a copy-and-paste to the clipboard at that point. I know you are suggesting to a copy along the way and I sometimes do, but I wanted to capture the complete message, not the in-process message.

I just had the same experience as Richard. I kept seeing a message in yellow, mid-page on the right, that read 'auto-saved' so I blithely assumed I did not need to independently preserve my writing. Sadly this does not appear to be the case, or, there is a cache somewhere where the 'auto-saved' writing is stored and I just need to know how to access it.

Thanks,

John

Auto Logout/Timeout is Confusing

I just ran into the logout/timeout feature of the forum again this morning as I took a bit longer than anticipated to fully reply to a thread.

I did some screen dumps, back to back. The first shows me logged in at 9:28 and the second 'not logged in' at 9:29. I found that the messages were not 'time dependent' and that I could be logged out and then find myself back on a page where I was apparently logged in. At least the banner says "Welcome, John Baum .... Log Out."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This probably makes sense to the programmer who created the forum software, but it certainly does not to this user.

I managed to post what I wanted by moving my text to Word, closing the forum, reopening it and logging in, and then reentering the post and and submitting it.

In the process, I noticed that sometimes I'm put into a 'quick reply' window where there is no "Title" box in the menu and have to elect an "Advanced" menu to get there and at others the full reply box opens first time.

Both of these questions would be well addressed by the Forum software programmers in a FAQ.

Thanks,

John

John,

SawmillCreek will not log out you out after inactivity, especially if you check "Remember Me" when you log in**. However, if you have anti-spyware installed or anything that deletes your cookies after a period of inactivity (say, 30 mins), that could be the problem. Just to rule it out, try a different browser and see if the problem persists outside of SeaMonkey.

**Note: (As a correction to Keith's post above, after 30 minutes of inactivity, the "Users Logged In" count on the home page will no longer include you in the count. This is very different from what you're experiencing, which is the loss of a cookie)

Quote Originally Posted by John Baum View Post
    I just ran into the logout/timeout feature of the forum again this morning as I took a bit longer than anticipated to fully reply to a thread.

I did some screen dumps, back to back. The first shows me logged in at 9:28 and the second 'not logged in' at 9:29. I found that the messages were not 'time dependent' and that I could be logged out and then find myself back on a page where I was apparently logged in. At least the banner says "Welcome, John Baum .... Log Out."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This probably makes sense to the programmer who created the forum software, but it certainly does not to this user.

I managed to post what I wanted by moving my text to Word, closing the forum, reopening it and logging in, and then reentering the post and and submitting it.

In the process, I noticed that sometimes I'm put into a 'quick reply' window where there is no "Title" box in the menu and have to elect an "Advanced" menu to get there and at others the full reply box opens first time.

Both of these questions would be well addressed by the Forum software programmers in a FAQ.

Thanks,

John
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator