Thread: Sliding Router Table Gloat

Sliding Router Table Gloat

Last year, I acquired this old Mini-Max T3 sliding table shaper at a local shop with a basement full of old machines in divers states of disrepair. My father and I had, for a while, been interested in buying or converting a cast-iron table for router-table use, because of its superior flatness and vibration-dampening qualities. We'd considered Bench Dog's cast-iron table and lift, but before you've even considered a router you're already closing on $1,000. When we came across the Mini-Max, it had a motor, but no electrical parts, no spindle, no quill, no pulleys or belts. We briefly considered rebuilding it as a shaper, but decided to convert it to a router table, as we had long been planning. As a bonus, it came with a sliding table that was in excellent working condition. We negotiated it down to a fair price and got it home.

There were challenges, however, in turning the shaper table into a router table. Space was limited underneath the table and between the table's structural cast-iron ribbing. We wanted to use a powerful, 3 1/4hp router, making it more difficult to find a router and lift that were compatible and also fit in the space available. After extensive research, we determined that none of the available router lifts (JessEm, Bench Dog, Rockler, MLCS, Woodpeckers, Pinnacle, etc.) would both accommodate a large router and fit in the space beneath the table. We did, however, determine that the Router Raizer lift (far less expensive than conventional router lifts) would work, though it required a plunge router. Searching for a 3 1/4hp plunge router that would fit in the router-table opening limited our options greatly, and turned up only two routers , the DeWalt DW625 and the Fein RT-1800, that met the requirements. Fein no longer makes or supports the RT-1800, and I found a new DW625 on eBay for less than retail, so I rung it up.

The router plate presented further difficulties. Like all shapers that I'm aware of, the MM table features a round opening, with a small, concentric, ~3/8" x 3/8" ledge inside the opening circumference. A 3/8"-thick router plate would sit very nicely on that ledge, but all router plates, to my knowledge, are made rectangular. So we bought a basic, 3/8"-thick aluminum router plate and cut and ground it perfectly circular and to precise diameter. With minimal shimming (the dimensions on the Italian-made MM are metric), the plate now fit snugly.

After boring and countersinking chamfered holes in the router plate, and after configuring the Raizer for use with the DW625, the router and plate were dropped into the table opening. Firing up the router for the first time, it quickly became clear that this router table was superior to any I'd ever used before. (I'd argue that it's probably superior to any that I've ever seen before.) Sitting in the heavy, cast-iron table, the router ran dead smooth. Moreover, the MM table is extremely flat; in fact it's the flattest surface in my shop, which is reassuring when making precision setups and cuts. And the sliding table has revolutionized my approach to routing. It's far superior to any coping sled I've used. It's very heavy with plenty of its own inertia, yet it glides so smoothly, so you can push through a heavy or light cut without the router pushing it around. You can even safely perform climb cuts, profiling the end of a workpiece or routing tenons with ease. I've even used it to precision-machine slots in wood and aluminum. The slider has opened up possibilities for routing that I'd never considered before.

If you prefer routers to shapers (for any number of reasons) but you've always wanted the enhanced weight and stability of a heavy, dead-flat table for routing, I would highly recommend going this route, especially if you're going to be buying a router or already have one, and if you're already planning to spend the considerable time and money it takes to build a semi-respectable router table.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And fine job ya'll did. Now sell me that Delta shaper and feeder LOL

Nice work!

Now THAT is impressive. Great job on the retrofit.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

LOL indeed, Dave. How's that Laguna sliding table working out?

LOL ah ah ah I'm installing it this week!? Just starting to get my legs back under me. It's been a long road the last few months and my recovery has been way way to slow
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 02-22-2011 at 5:22 PM.

I have one of those shapers, what spare parts do you have left over?

Larry,

None, really. I sold the motor, but besides that there wasn't really anything else. I have the fence, which I might use for various router setups, though so far I use that Rockler fence in the photo, which is pretty tall and easily adjustable for router-bit sizes. As far as spindles or tooling, which might be useful to you, nothing like that. BTW, how does it work as a shaper? I've been curious to know.

that is so cool it makes me drool ice cubes.

Thanks very much for posting. This has got to be one of the best adaptations I've seen, probably because I was daydreaming about doing the same type of conversion but eventually went to Bench Dog instead. Just too cool, enjoy it.
    Larry Rasmussen
    Seattle

I can't say how pleased I have been with how it turned out. I was doubtful at first, because of all the challenges, and wasn't sure it would actually work. But it's exceeded my expectations. It looks good, but how well it functions is what is really amazing. It seems to run so quietly and smoothly. I always look forward to using it and actually try to come up excuses or new and different ways to exploit the slider.

That's fantastic Hugh. I remember reading your thread last year, where you were trying to decide whether to restore the shaper or do the conversion. It seems like you've got the best of both worlds. I'd be looking for excuses to use it too!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacDonald View Post
    Larry,

BTW, how does it work as a shaper? I've been curious to know.
    Very nice little shaper. It still works fine and has paid for itself many, many times. I am on the hunt for a back tilt now, but the Mini will always be here as it was my first.