Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1,280 Pocket Holes

Exclamation 1,280 Pocket Holes

I need to drill 1,280 pocket holes! I have a DeWalt 14.4 that is in good condition but I know the batteries can't keep up with me. My son has the same drill and I can get his batteries, charger and drill. I was thinking about rotating, not only the batteries but the drills as well. Is this just too much demand for cordless drill?

If you guys think I should buy a corded drill (probably a 3/8), which one would have enough poop to hold up to this rather unusual demand?
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I have no clue which drill to buy, but I'd love to know what your project is.

Byron,

I made the switch from my 14.4 cordless to a cheap variable speed corded drill for drilling pocket holes. I found that it's much faster and I keep the kreg bit in the drill all the time.

For driving the screws, I stick with the cordless and make the final "snug" turn by hand.

brent

Yikes, that's a lot of holes to drill

I think I would get a corded drill motor for this operation. Not only will you save time by not having to change batteries constantly, but the higher RPM of the corded drill will help out too.

My personal preference is to drill the holes with the corded drill and drive the screws with the cordless even when I am only doing a couple dozen holes. I think just about any 3/8" corded drill will work fine for your application.

Good luck with the project, but keep in mind, the tedium of drilling that many holes will certainly cause your "safety factor" to go into sleep mode. Try to stay sharp to avoid accidents and errors.

Chris DeHut

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fancher
    I have no clue which drill to buy, but I'd love to know what your project is.
    You won't believe it..Shutters! Yep, shutters. Each shutter is comprised of two solid panels made from poplar and range in length from 10'4" down to 5'6". These panels are attached to a "face frame" assembly. The face frame assembly is comprised of three stiles 3-1/2" wide by what ever length. The stiles are connected by 10 rails, five on either side of the center stile and connected to the outer stiles. So regardless of length, there are four holes for each rail and 10 rails for each shutter or 40 holes. There are 16 assemblies so that works out to 640 holes not 1280. Ops! I got the 1280 from my labor quote which included screwing them in. Anyway, I am sure my arm will give out before the drill will.

The spec'd material is clear poplar. Technically, it's pretty straight forward but physically it will kill me - if I get the job. I am fairly certain I will because apparently no one wants to do it. The finish is sprayed on latex. Why they want clear wood when they want it sprayed, is beyond me. Wish me luck...

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Yes you are much better off using a high rpm drill for the drilling part of the pocket hole process and use a batter drill with the clutch set so you won't snap any screws into.

The Dewalt 106 is what I use, works well and is inexpensive.

http://www.epinions.com/content_156044529284
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Thumbs up

Thanks fo the input. If I get the job, I think I will buy a corded drill. I didn't even think about the rpm. They would be drilled a lot faster and easier.

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Kreg recomends a corded drill rated at 2,000 rpm or above.
    I use a Dewalt corded drill, and am very happy with it.
    Scott

i bought a milwaukee 1/2inch "hole hawg" from the borg for $109 to mix thinset for ceramic tile jobs.can't kill it,mixing thinset ate my makita 3/8" drill.i think you should take a look at milwaukee.

Get a corded drill without a doubt, I did and would never go back.

My local Lowes in Kansas City had some Hitiachi (sp?) 3/8 corded drills regularly $50 for $20 under the sale table on the floor. You might want to check out your lowes if you have one.

Corded for sure but maybe it would be a good opportunity to invest in a tabletop pocket holer. I have the Porter Cable and the model escapes me right now but it would make short work out of it. I can cut the pocket holes for a face frame in about a minute or less.
    Clint
    poor, self-employed woodworker

take Fred's advice, I picked up a milwaukee off of the bay, it was a reconditioned drill that could do both regular drilling and hammer drilling. I can't believe how awesome it is... I didtched my cordless Makita shortly after getting it, just got sick of the batteries running out. Look for some reconditioned ones online, or look around for a repair facility around you, they might have some reconditiond ones laying around. Though 106 bucks at the borg sounds good too.

Chuck

A good corded general purpose shop drill should have medium RPM (1700ish is good), two stage gearing, keyless chuck, metal gear housing, VS/reversing, and a quality build at a reasonable price. Light weight is more important than high power. Milwaukee had a line of 3.5 amp drills (called Hole Shooters - not the Magnum variety) that really fit the bill, but they gave in to the amp race and canned the entire series a couple years ago. I mourned their death by getting one off eBay. It's been a great tool. You can't buy anything like it new except for obscure and expensive offerings from Fein and maybe a few other European manufacturers.

You can, however, still get them on eBay real cheap. Here are a couple current listings for similar drills:

Moderator removed direct links to e-bay items -- violates TOS

Wait around a bit and one with the RPM/chuck combo you want will come up. Milwaukee even made some with a 2-wire version of their detachable cord.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 01-21-2005 at 9:07 AM.

Hi folks,

as you probably already know I have no experiences with pocket holes but I’d like to offer my thoughts on corded drills.
    There are a few features I’d want:
    - compact size
    - low weight
    - good ergonomics (a matter of personal preferences, of course)
    - keyless chuck
    - VS with trigger control
    - long cord
    - right max. rpm for your specific application

One of those drills is the Makita 6408, for example.
    Personally, if I were out for a corded drill I’d seriously look at Fein. I haven’t found a drill with better ergonomics. IMO their only drawback is that many Fein drills are primarily designed for metal working thus they have usually rather low max. rpm. So if you’re contemplating a Fein drill for drilling pocket holes a two gear type might serve your needs best.
    A Fein is simply a fine (that's how we pronounce it) tool .

Hope this helps,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Hi Bryon.

I have, over the years, have owned two Craftsman 3/8" corded drills. For me at least, they are like a Timex, they take a licken and keep on ticking.

My current one, about 10 years old, has a speed control built into the trigger, and it can "get with it" when you turn the little red knob. My original Craftsman was used to assemble a workbench made out of 3 2x12 planks, 2x6 stringers, and 4x4 legs. I used almost a box of #16 3 1/2" screws, and the drill didn't complain in the least.(Predrill, countersink, drive screw.) Maybe that is why it only lasted 15 or 20 years. LOML uses the bench for her gardening now. It is 30 years old and has another 60 in it.

It could be that the drill has been improved to the point that it is only good for one or two years service.
    Best Regards, Ken