Thread: Sticking IPI or Rowmark to a Glass Door

Sticking IPI or Rowmark to a Glass Door

I have an upcoming job to produce several IPI or Rowmark signs to be attached inside glass doors - engraved side attached to the glass.
    What is the best method for this?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Blog Entries
    3M tape applied before engraving?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Even clear double sided tape will show. Normally I'd mount on the front of the glass, then add a piece of something else like 1/16" black ABS on the back of the glass to hide the back of the Rowmark. The tickness of the glass will make it harder to read, especially if there are any small letters on it.

If they insist on mounting behind the glass then I'd suggest clear banner tape which is more invisible, but only put 1/4" strips of it on the top and bottom edges.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

or

http://www.displays2go.com/Category.aspx?ID=57

I've never used the velcro cups but I have cut holes into the corners and forced the end of a suction cup in. It takes about 5-10 minutes to get the hole size right and the help of a screw driver to force the end in, but overall it's a fairly simple yet effective method.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Several good ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    ... add a piece of something else like 1/16" black ABS on the back of the glass to hide the back of the Rowmark...
    How do you attach the ABS to the Rowmark, and how weather proof is this?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Several good ideas.

How do you attach the ABS to the Rowmark, and how weather proof is this?
    The rowmark goes on the outside of the window, the abs on the inside, to cover the backside of the rowmark up (the side where it's taped to the glass).

For what it's worth, we do the same as Joe. I'd never mount one face to the glass. I'd either sell it to the customer and let them do it or I'd pass on it. As far as rowmark lasting outside, it will last a fairly long time. Put it in perspective. It's not a $400 sign, it's normally a $15-35 sign. For $15 if it lasts 2 years outside, they got their money's worth. If they want something to last longer, they need to pony up for vinyl lettering and do the job right.

Ross had a great method shown there. Those work very well too.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.