Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lignum Vitae Wall Piece

Lignum Vitae Wall Piece

I made this piece a couple of years ago. It is solid Lignum Vitae. The design is a mix of Baroque and Islamic art. Measurements are 63" X 24"...the weight is almost 100 pounds. The finishing is Danish Oil and dark brown wax. Little more than 1,300 hours to complete (two and a half years of part-time labor). Some friends have ask me if it was fun to make such a piece...well...... a lot of hard, tiresome and repetitive work here...ah, and lots of patience!!! Any question and comments are welcome. Thanks for looking. Alexander

piezas_guayacan_135.jpgpiezas_guayacan_138_2.jpgpiezas_guayacan_153_4.jpgpiezas_guayacan_2164.jpgpiezas_guayacan_076_2.jpgpiezas_guayacan_088.jpgpiezas_guayacan_188_2.jpgpiezas_guayacan_080_2.jpg
    Last edited by Alexander Valle; 02-20-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Comments? Only one. WOW!

Patience is a bit of an understatement on this one... The detailing is really quite amazing. 1,300 hours is more like a labor of love.
    Real nice job Alexander.

That really is just incredible.

How exquisite!

Unbelievable! That is a true work of art.

Jumpin' catfish! I can not imagine the talent, let alone the time that it takes to craft anything close to this beautiful and detailed. As someone already said, a piece of art. This belongs in a museum. Bravo my friend, BRAVO! That is out of this world. My mind is reeling just thinking about attempting to design this let alone trying to execute it. Incredible!
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

That's a whole new level of workmanship and talent.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Alexander. You are an artist & a craftsman. This is an astounding piece of work. What a sense of accomplishment you must have. I don't believe I have seen anything of this caliber on the internet. It is astounding. thank you for sharing this with us.

Amazing work and awesome attention to detail. a truly masterful piece. Well done...well done. Is it modelled after a real building ? A true testament that building architecture flows down into furniture ?
    Last edited by Keith Christopher; 02-21-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Clap. Clap. Clap...

When I saw that, my 1st reaction was: is that really all wood? Really inspiring.

Makes my projects look like firewood! AMAZING!!!!

Is that real? Just an insane amount of beautiful work. Like has been stated, I've never seen such an amazing peice of craftsmanship on any kind of internet forum. You truely are skilled person.

Beautiful and amazing work!

That is unreal, hard to imagine the amount of patience involved in a project like that. Very unique and very nice.