Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lignum Vitae Wall Piece

Wow. Wow. Seriously, though. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher View Post
    Amazing work and awesome attention to detail. a truly masterful piece. Well done...well done. Is it modelled after a real building ? A true testament that building architecture flows down into furniture ?
    Keith, for centuries, furniture has been seen as something to be "use"...a practical and utilitarian form of art. This piece is a attempt of mine to make furniture just for the sake of art....not attached to some kind of "use". I really love Baroque and Renaissance architecture and some architectural elements of that period are present in this piece, but it is not modeled in a specific building. Thanks for asking and I hope you understand because English is not my native language. Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Valle View Post
    Keith, for centuries, furniture has been seen as something to be "use"...a practical and utilitarian form of art. This piece is a attempt of mine to make furniture just for the sake of art....not attached to some kind of "use". I really love Baroque and Renaissance architecture and some architectural elements of that period are present in this piece, but it is not modeled in a specific building. Thanks for asking and I hope you understand because English is not my native language. Alexander
    Alex,

I understand completely. But it is apparent you made something that could be on the front of a well adorned building. Which is why I asked. Of I love art made from wood. A friend once told me, you will never get rich making functional furniture, only when they see your furniture as a piece of functional art will you make money. So I understand completely. It is a beautiful and well made piece. I would suspect you could make some money teaching this kind of work.

thanks,
    Keith
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Thanks woodworking fellows for your comments...God bless you all of you. Alexander

That is amazing! My patience (and mind) would have left me.

Very nice indeed!

I don't have that kind of patience. My dad is a woodcarver and has spent 1500 hrs on a rattlesnake so far that he is working on, and I just couldn't do it. I can spend that much and more on a house, but when it comes to that kind of tiny detail it takes a different mindset.

Looking at each little individual part, there is so much work in each item, very impressive! And it all comes together nicely with balance. Bravo!

Blog Entries
    My jaw truly dropped when I saw your incredible project. You just went to the top of the list when it comes to creativity and skill. My hat's off to you, an amazing piece. I have to ask, when you began this project, did you have a vision of what it would be in the end and did it end up being what you envisioned?
    I had a chance to buy some Lignum Vitae recently. Wish I had now.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 02-24-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Blog Entries
    One more question, is all the inlay work done by hand? |A little story |I heard about Lignum Vitae, I heard the prop shaft in the Queen Mary is made from this wood. Anyone know if this is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    One more question, is all the inlay work done by hand? |A little story |I heard about Lignum Vitae, I heard the prop shaft in the Queen Mary is made from this wood. Anyone know if this is correct?
    I recall reading that they made shaft seals out of lignum vitae.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Alexander,
    I have to say ALL of the above. Words are truely lacking to describe this work of art. I think I can say that we are all in awe of your work. Thanks for sharing. I feel like I have just been allowed to see something from one of the great artists of our time. Thank you!
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I recall reading that they made shaft seals out of lignum vitae.
    I just read that recently too. I was researching what the worlds heaviest wood was.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Blog Entries
    Is this going to be for sale some day?

My jaw truly dropped when I saw your incredible project. You just went to the top of the list when it comes to creativity and skill. My hat's off to you, an amazing piece. I have to ask, when you began this project, did you have a vision of what it would be in the end and did it end up being what you envisioned?
    I had a chance to buy some Lignum Vitae recently. Wish I had now.
    Thanks Bill for all your comments...really appreciate. Regarding the design of the piece, I have a vision of what I wanted...however most of what you see was done as I went along....if you prefer a better word, most was improvised. Of couse, there are some unifying motives, such as linear carving in turning pieces and a strong architectural (Baroque) influence. Moreover, I made it in a great time spam and I have a lot of time to considerate motives, designs, etc. Finally and honestly, I always consider this piece as a unfinished one because I wanted to made some other alterations, but I desist (my wife the main reason to desist...)

By the time I made this piece I did not have a scroll saw, so, a lot of inlay was cut with a mini router....how??? ...well, if I needed some inlay pieces with a "C" shape, I glued up with a little of cyano the marked piece of wood to a piece of plywood, then with a mini straight bit I cut the "C" shape...then unglued the piece and finish it with a belt sander. Almost most inlay pieces were a little less than 1/8" (-/+ 3/32").

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Morgano View Post
    Alexander,
    I have to say ALL of the above. Words are truely lacking to describe this work of art. I think I can say that we are all in awe of your work. Thanks for sharing. I feel like I have just been allowed to see something from one of the great artists of our time. Thank you!
    Wow Ed, thank you very much for these words... this is the type of words that are said when one is already dead......at least I had the chance to see them while I'm alive....