Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Sawmill Creek At Work

Again, I was never attacking, or even thinking about, anyone in particular. Only Keith's 20 mil overall.

Phil.... Sounds like great fun and a great memory. I have a similar one where we zipped around Upstate NY and western Vermont in a 1953 MG TD he restored when I was quite young, maybe between 3 and 6. He had that until I moved away, so I was lucky enough to get to drive it. I can still see autumn leaves swirling behind me in the rear view mirror as I ran it through rural Washington County. But we all know the Porsche 356 came along and the MGs went extinct.

I was the third owner of the shop (and there's now a fourth), but I added Audi, and that was the ticket. Audis must be 25:1 to Porsches in the Denver area, so it was a whole new world. Taking over an established shop meant a full slate of work on Day 1, but boy, by year three we had quadrupled with all those Audis. And for the record, it's POR-sha. It's a family name; it's the only way to say it. One "POR-sha", many "POR-shas". Took a dozen years til my Mom stopped saying 'Porsh'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    And for the record, it's POR-sha. It's a family name; it's the only way to say it. One "POR-sha", many "POR-shas". Took a dozen years til my Mom stopped saying 'Porsh'.
    Interesting... a few car nuts from Germany visited some close friends (we were all S2000 owners) when I lived in Boston. They said it drove Europeans nuts when Americans insisted on calling them "POR-shas". He said it was pronounced "Porsh" in Europe, and you looked like an ignorant snob if you pronounced it any other way.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Van.... I suppose it is just the latest distraction, as you say. Humans being humans, we'll always find a way to do what we want. For some it's good and we do it in a way that works for us, while for some it's bad and they'll always think in terms of "getting this" or being "owed that". But it sounds like the environments that succeed are very similar. It's only when you get to the bigger companies that you start to pick up some unavoidable chaff.
    Last edited by Joe Angrisani; 02-24-2011 at 3:32 PM.

Dan.... Two or three things going on there. First, the true pronunciation is a sorta un-Spanish-y and guttural rolled sound I can't type, and the second syllable is very soft. But there are two syllables. The second thing, in my experience, is there's nothing quite like a German who feels they need to one-up the world (or better yet, the Americans). I dated one for five years. Mike Myer's old Saturday Night Live Dieter character was very close to quite a few people I knew through supply lines. A third possibility I could see is two ways of saying the same word. It happens in English names all the time.

Properly pronounced German words:

(The forth word is Porsche)

http://www.billsid.com/snds/words.mp3

I realize it is pronounced "PORSH-uh," but I can't stand the militants. I've driven "vettes," "stangs," "beemers," etc. I have yet to drive a "porsh" (well, that isn't true, now I realize I drove my accountant's), but I never had the interest in cars like my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I realize it is pronounced "PORSH-uh," but I can't stand the militants. I've driven "vettes," "stangs," "beemers," etc. I have yet to drive a "porsh" (well, that isn't true, now I realize I drove my accountant's), but I never had the interest in cars like my dad.
    And things change with time. Old guys like me said "tangs" (or another version I won't
    mention), but more recent generations changed it to "stangs"