Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawmill Creek At Work

Sawmill Creek At Work

Looking at the volume of postings over the weekend and on today's holiday, and I can't help but notice there are far fewer posts whenever it's not a regular workday. I betcha half of the SMC posts are made between "9-to-5", Monday through Friday. To me, it's a vivid example of how much employer's time is wasted by non-work-related web browsing and such. Has anyone else noticed this over time? I'd be curious to know how much "on the clock" time is spent in idle surfing by the average paid American employee.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this??

Sawmill Creek FUN, WORK, um NOT...................

WORK, um, employer is paying you for your time. Not for you to have personal FUN.....

That's my point in case it wasn't crystal clear.

Joe,

Your conclusion is one option. The other option is that people spend holiday and weekends with family or friends and thus less time on the internet.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Actually, my employer used to pay me for my knowledge, experience and results.

Generally speaking, if an employee is underperforming, that should be taken up by a manager that's paying attention. If employees are spending hours a day surfing the net, someone is obviously not paying attention and is setting expectations far too low. Either that or they have brilliant employees that can goof off AND perform at a high level...I don't really see a problem with that.

An open and free work environment is a good work environment. A good work environment contributes to free flowing interchange of ideas. It's a place people want to be. As long as the work is getting done, I don't see it as wasteful at all. It's an investment and just another cost of doing business.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-21-2011 at 12:23 PM.

I bet you would find a spike in access and posting at lunch time. I browse the creek on my lunch hour while eating my lunch at my desk. I work in IT and don't have a hard work schedule. It's generally ~8:00 to ~ 5:00, but I work until the job is done and that often means I contribute personal time. In reality, I get enough screen time on the computer at work that I have 0 desire to login at home after hours or on the weekends.

I retired on the first day of this month. Often when I posted here during the day, I was either on site waiting for a diagnostic scan of 1 hour or more in length to finish or I had my work caught up and there wasn't anything to do and I was in my home office or my family room posting from my home computer. Often when you saw me posting in the evenings I was on site at a hospital waiting for a 1 hour or longer diagnostic scan to run on an MR scanner or CT scanner and couldn't do anything until those scans are done.

Most businesses....even hospitals today have figured out what their employees are doing and have configured software to limit their employees time on the internet. A lot of employees are unaware that the same employers can and do track time spent on the internet and the websites being visited.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-21-2011 at 12:44 PM.
    Ken

I see it all the time, people surfing, NON work related. We are allowed, but before work, after work and at lunch. Why take the chance? I see many people texting, playing games, etc.. on their cell phones, they are getting just as bad, since you can do everythign on them and they can't monitor your activities on your phone.....
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

I work for a large company (12k+ employees). My boss is a state away. I'm a one-man show with almost no supervision, all of my work gets done way ahead of expectations. I come to SMC a few times a day at work. Usually in the morning, I come in early before a 0800 meeting, I check out the creek while the coffee is brewing. I come on at lunch time. I am salaried, and I work until the job is done. I come on between tasks, kinda like a smoke break... I would be willing to bet I spend less time on break than any smoker does in the work place. My company tracks everything done on the computers. It isn't a problem, unless you become a problem! If you fail to perform, screw up or whatever else, they'll use your net time against you. My company's policy clearly states that personal internet use is ok, as long as it does not interfere with your duties.

If the job is getting done and the person is performing above the expectations of the employer, I see no issue.

Ok, back to work I go!
    Last edited by Dave Gaul; 02-21-2011 at 12:44 PM.

In my job, I'm often waiting for someone or something so I can do my job. During those times, I ocasionally check SMC.

I suppose I could start smoking. Then I'd be hanging out with other smokers on the patio for fifteen minutes of every hour.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I bet you would find a spike in access and posting at lunch time. I browse the creek on my lunch hour while eating my lunch at my desk. I work in IT and don't have a hard work schedule. It's generally ~8:00 to ~ 5:00, but I work until the job is done and that often means I contribute personal time. In reality, I get enough screen time on the computer at work that I have 0 desire to login at home after hours or on the weekends.
    I eat lunch at my desk and punch up SMC then as I am sure a lot of folks do. Note the times on the responses you received. I don't know if you are self employed or retired but Inoticed the time on your post was 10:48 AM.

Jim....today is a holiday for some folks......Presidents Day....my wife's former co-workers are taking her to lunch today to celebrate her retirement....there's no school today......Holiday.
    Ken

Blog Entries
    I run simulations, tests, etc. as I develop code at work... it may be anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes between runs, but it's generally not enough time to do any other real work (else my brain has to shift gears). I log onto the Creek.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

A lot of it depends on the company, job requirements and work done outside 9 to 5. I work as a programmer/db admin type gig. Sometimes there is little to do for 10 or 30 minutes in a row. Usually that involves waiting on a query to run, customer to respond to questions or on conference calls that don't involve me but I'm required on " just in case". My boss and his leadership have no problem with facebook, youtube or any time wasting in such situations. By the same token when a customer calls at 2 in the morning for an emergency fix I don't get to say "sorry I'm in the office 9 to 5 I'll check then". It is also pretty rare for any of the people in my area to work less than 40 hours a week not counting any administrative stuff or meetings we might have to be at. Maybe it is different because us programmers as a species value flexibility and the chance to do it our way. That also opens up a lot of solutions that a different environment at work may not foster. Heck look at the Apple and Google programmers they have a very sweet setup that would seem lazy...very lazy to someone who does hard/manual work all day. Trust me, I grew up working in construction and through college. But those two companies crank out some of the most interesting and profitable code around.

Last edited by Derek Gilmer; 02-21-2011 at 1:33 PM. Reason: added descriptive image :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Jim....today is a holiday for some folks......Presidents Day....my wife's former co-workers are taking her to lunch today to celebrate her retirement....there's no school today......Holiday.
    Oops! I work for a company that only gives us the traditional holidays - Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, July 4 - so I don't even think about Veterans' Day, MLK Day, and Presidents' Day as being days when some folks are at home.