Thread: Porter cable 892 router plunge base question

Porter cable 892 router plunge base question

Does a 6931 plunge base fit a model 892 porter cable router?

Blog Entries
    That's an interesting question. Amazon says: "The 6931 is made specially for use with routers 690, 9690, and 691". Just looking at pictures, I wold say no and then I wonder, if it would why doesn't PC promote that? More revenue for selling two bases but customer loyalty if they are interchangeable. I guess you need to go somewhere where they have both on the shelf and see if will. Good luck and post your results.

It might work if you unscrew the "rack" from the 892 motor housing. I don't know for certain, so you might wait and see if someone else has tried this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Murphy View Post
    It might work if you unscrew the "rack" from the 892 motor housing. I don't know for certain, so you might wait and see if someone else has tried this.
    I think Paul has it right although I'm not certain. I know the 690 series motors won't find the 890 series plunge bases, the 690 motor has 4 "studs" sticking out of the motor, the 890 plunge base has 2 slots. It's a shame because IMO the current 890 plunge base is sweet, better than the 690 plunge base. the 690 plunge base I had was too stiff and too sticky. I did see a pic where somebody made 2 more grooves in an 890 base so a 690 motor would fit but there wouldn't be much metal left on the plunge base by the time the grooves were cut.