Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arthritic knees, comfortable shoes, flooring

I highly recommend the multi-colored mats sold at Sam's Club. I could not work in my shop without them. They are cheaper than the ones normally sold at Harbor Freight, no slam, and cheaper. They come in 4 colors and work very very well. A friend of mine did his whole shop floor and called it "primary colors". Looks great

I also use orthotics in my shoes and that helps

john

3 knee surgeries. One bad ACL, no cartiledge left anywhere. Arthritis all over the place.

I've got 1" thick rubber mats in front of all my major power tools. Picked em up cheap at Costco several years ago. They've got a honeycomb pattern which makes cleanup a pain, but that's what shopvacs are for.

I've got some crocs, but I don't like the way they fill up with shavings at the lathe. I tend to wear my New Balance 991s. Runners call these the knee shoe. My orthopedic surgeon recommended them.

Remember to have a good balanced stance and move around regularly.

Don't you just love it when you have to do a deep knee bend to get one of your kneecaps back in the right place?

Gary, who's really trying to avoid any knee replacements.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I worked close to 15 years on concrete floors of one kind or another.
    Anything you can put between your shoes and the concrete will help..even something as thin as vinyl tile or linoleum.
    It's not only the hardness of the concrete - it;s he way the concrete saps heat from your body.
    Anything with good arch support plus wearing good socks will go a long way to making your kness feel a lot better.
    Also - frequent sessions of sitting down for a short time - well before the throbbing or stiffness starts - goes a long way.

One other thing that's often overlooked is good lower back support.
    I wear one of these:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/support...rge-94235.html
    and it has done wonders.

It is amazing what can be learned from posting a thread. I have been wearing NB for years, but the cheap kind. I had no idea the NB991 has over 70% American made content. Of course that shoe is no longer produced. The 993s took its place and I will try them out. Rick, thanks for the back support idea and to those who suggested a comfortable stool. I have a small folding chair that I set up when running longer stock thru my Jet 16-32. Of course I got caught sitting when my wife opened the shop door on me. The stool idea sounds better where I have easier access to it. I tend to break out the chair when I'm hurting which I can see is wrong. I will start to work smarter. Also, I knew concrete was not the best surface to walk on, just didn't realize how bad. Thanks again.

According to many doctors, if you are eating a balanced diet then most vitamin supplements are a waste of money. You should be getting all your vitamins from your normal diet. Now since most of us don't eat a balanced diet, the Vitamin D should be of the D3 type, it increases absorption into your system, the Glucosamine/Chondroitin you need to check the source of the cartilage as some are better than others. Most products contain cartilage from shellfish as that is the most common and least expensive, shark and chicken are better but a little harder to find.

This is the pair I have for the shop. You have the option of opening one or more of the side vents if your feet tend to sweat. These because I have aching knees and feet all the time. After effects of Lyme.

Another thing to consider. The plywood over sleepers can be insulated. The cold concrete tends to rob your legs of heat. So even if your shop is warm. Your knees may be cold. I wish I could afford to do this upgrade.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Elliott View Post
    For years, I suffered terrible foot pain after working on concrete floors. A little knee pain too. I used good work boots, athletic shoes and it only helped a bit. Now I swear by these crocs. This model has NO holes so chips can fall in. I wear med weight wool socks in the winter and white socks in the summer. It is like a slice of heaven!

$29.99

Attachment 183731

+1 on Vitamin D - we make it ourselves when cholesterol in our skin is exposed to sunshine. Joint & bone health and suppressing cancer are just two of the actions of this hugely important nutrient. If you're indoors often like most Americans, live cloudy states like Maine, Washington, and Oregon, or have dark skin in your heritage (African, native American, Indian, Asian, Greek, Italian, etc) or live north of S. Carolina you probably should be taking vitamin D in the winter if not year-round.

Need to spend more time in the shop and less time at the doctor!

I good pair of work boots, I just bought a new pair of Red Wings with steel toe. They will cost you, but you have only one body. I suffer from severe Neuropathy due to GBS so my legs and feet hurt all the time. I had a previous pair that were great, but my feet got larger. My wife told me to get the steel toes, since I don't always know when my toes get smashed. The support helps alot.
    For something that will hold up to heavy machines use Cow stall matts 3' x 5'. They cost about $30-50 at a farm supply store. If they can hold a large cow your machines will not affect it, I have 2 in my garage that cars drive on and have no problems. The Popular Woodworking Mag shop even uses them, read the blogs for their take.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I make my own insoles out of EVA foam. Crocs are made from EVA foam but I don't like the fit or the holes full of chips.
    You can vary the thickness and get real cushy like floor-mats everywhere. 1/2" thick and it's better for standing than walking.
    I buy athletic shoes one size bigger than normal and add 1/4" thick EVA inside.
    I used to buy running shoes with soles like this that got "tippy" if you added more than 3/8" of EVA insole.http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/pub...4_aQuqWY3sY1EA

Yesterday I got a pair a sneakers with soles like this http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pub...Nd9glxm4I=s180
    I added 1/2" thick EVA insoles and walked around in the shop for a few hours.

I came in to report the shoes are cushy but not tippy. My feet and knees are giggling.

Great thread!

I never thought guys would be wearing Crocs in the shop - maybe it's my OSHA training that makes me think this isn't right, but it sounds like a good idea to me! I might have to pick some up.

I also plan on installing floor mats when I eventually settle into a more permanent shop space next year. Thanks for the suggestions on where to buy.

Just on note to the OP about shoes - with knee problems you should never be wearing any "old" shoes. Shoes wear out rather quickly and lose their cusion, and even if they still look good they should be tossed.

If you are going to get a pair of Crocs. Try and get a pair that are either for professionals (doctors and nurses) or for Rx. The quality and comfort tends to be better than what you typically find in regular retail stores.

Here is a good bargain with no holes on top. Problem is it is only available in size 11-13. There is also white on clearance.
    http://www.crocs.com/crocs-rx-silver...gid=outlet-men

Red Wing has many different types of shoes and boots. I had a pair of boots that were specifically made for working on concrete floors ie; electricians, hvac, commercial tradesmen. They really worked well and were very comfortable. For me though, after the soles wore a little they were REALLY slippery on a wet truck ramp (load out after the rock show on a rainy night). However, for your needs in your shop they will probably work very well. The other nice thing about Red Wing is that they come in narrow (b) all they way to wide widths.

I've got some knee issues and foot pain along with an aching back and I've been using the Sketchers Shape Ups and I love em. I've been wearing little other shoes now for nearly 2 years and my back is much better, foot pain gone and knee is not giving any trouble right now. Those shoes force you to stand at a more healthy posture, they take a bit of time to get used to em but I think they have done a lot for me. Basically they force you to stand on the ball of your foot which really is the way we were designed. Take a look at em you might find some relief there.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Oh ya, I forgot......

I was given some support socks by the local clothing store. Amazing difference! I wear them under my normal socks.