Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodcraft classes

I took the Handplane class with Garrett Hack last March at the Manchester, CT Woodcraft. Excellent! Garrett is very nice and an excellent teacher.

JM

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hey Shawn,

Took a 10 week Woodshop Unplugged Class Last fall. It was a wonderfully transforming and expensive process. All the New Toyls and attention to detail changed my approach to WW. I have a number of threads related to the class.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...696#post105696
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 01-22-2005 at 7:18 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Hawn -

My wife has taken two classes - and is signed up for a third - at the local Woodcraft. The quality of the class depends on the instructor. Her first was OK, the second, outstanding. She has been back to the store and asked further questions above and beyond the classes (so far) and has gotten very detailed in-depth answers and more hands on training.

Ted

I've heard the classes are good, but take your credit card! I suspect you will most certainly use some little (or big) thing in the class that you just can't live without. And guess what? It's right there in the store so you can buy it on the spot and take it home with you! I am not criticizing Woodcraft for this...it's good business. I am just making fun of my own and other woodworkers weaknesses!

I took a class on the Incra jig at Woodcraft. It was a pretty good class with a good instructor. In the end, I got what I wanted out of it.
    The other students were all novices, so I did have to sit through a lot of basic questions. I think what they wanted out of it was some lessons on basic joinery, where my main purpose was deciding on a fence for my router table that was on the drawing board. I guess they probably say that they had to sit through some guy demanding a technical sales pitch for the thing .
    That would be the only negative I can think of. At the college of the redwoods, I suspect most of the students already have a working knowledge of biscuits vs. box joints. At Woodcraft, you just never know. But, the instructor did a very good job of keeping the course focused to the outline while still straying enough to give a basic understanding to those who needed it.
    It seemed to me that the instructors were available for one-on-one sessions in whatever subject interests you. That is definitely something I will consider in the future vs. the set class structures.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I took a beginning spindle turning class at the Orlando Woodcraft. I definitely felt I got my money's worth. Give it a shot.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb