Thread: Clearvue Factory Visit

Clearvue Factory Visit

I was in Seattle yesterday on business and found myself with some time to kill before my flight, so I rang up the folks at Clearvue and asked if I could stop by. Of course they said yes, just come on by. Thankfully I had a GPS system as their office/factory is a bit hard to find. Once I found it and one of the brothers came back from running an errand to let me in I spent time with them. I belive it was Mike that was there. There are 3 brothers that run the company. He was very helpful and took me around the shop and answered all my questions. He clarified in my mind exactly what I need to do. Here are some of the key areas I talked to him about:
    1. Concern about Clearvue being a kit - he showed me exactly what you get when they ship it to you and went through the assembly process. Very straight forward. The only part that I will probably not do is the electrical wiring. Not that I can't but paying a licensed electrician to do the final wiring is worth the piece of mind.
    2. Venting outside vs. filters - he showed my filters and a dust collection box from a cyclone that he had used at a tradeshow sanding 2x4's non stop 8 hours a day for 3 days. There was very little fine dust in the filter or the clean out box. He said that venting outside is not an issue and very little dust will be put in the air, as he said you won't even notice it.
    3. Ducting - I was going to use metal duct work. They have all PVC duct work that is held together with short sheet metal screws. He recommended doing the same thing, and using 6" ductwork throughout. He also said to not use PVC cement to join the pipes together, just use screws so that you can modify your ductwork.
    4. Noise - they have a Max system in a closet with standard 2x4 construction with regular insulation. The noise level was not bad a all. Not much louder than any normal machine in the shop.
    5. Remote switch - he didn't have a good answer for this, primarily because they have not been able to find a good supplier for a remote switch. He suggested that you just turn on the cyclone and leave it on while you work. Given the low level of noise that it produces I think that is a reasonable approach.

Bottom line is that Clearvue appears to be in very good hands with owners that are passionate about their product and focused on customer support. They are also a great resource in the overall installation process and are very open to answering any and all questions.

So based on this visit, and reading all of the various postings on this subject I will be placing an order for a Clearvue 1800 and using PVC duct work throughout.

Great way to spend time between business meetings.

Hope this information is useful.

David

Did they happen to mention when they were going to bother getting a web site back up? I was wanting to do some research on their products and can't bring up their site...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Did they happen to mention when they were going to bother getting a web site back up? I was wanting to do some research on their products and can't bring up their site...
    I seems to be working now. http://clearvuecyclones.com/

Yea, they did not appear to be the most computer savy folks. You can tell by their website, not one of the best. But great guys to do business with and they have what I think is a great product. The best part for me was seeing it all working and getting to ask the questions we all wrestle with. It really made the whole process seem much more manageable. Now of course I need to get one ordered, buy all the duct work, hook it all up and see how it works. Let the fun begin!

Quote Originally Posted by John Jendro View Post
    I seems to be working now. http://clearvuecyclones.com/
    And the forums still works also: http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Bullentin/index.php

They actually changed the website a lot when they took it over. I thought it put a little personal spin on the business for them, while keeping the great information that Ed had in his original site. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

NOT a very big fan of their website, but ... would either be my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice, if/when I upgrade to a BigBoy DC

So ... David ... congrats, and thanks for letting us know you got to tour !

Neil, I agree with you that it is not the best, but it has a lot of good information. Since I have to a trip report when ever I visit a customer/prospect for my boss, I thought I would do a trip report for my visit to Clearvue. It was a lot more fun than my other meetings that day. The best part was just seeing everything hooked up and working. It really clarified in my mind what do to and how to go about things. They also seem to have a very common sense approach to dust collection. There is so much information out there that it is easy to get wrapped around the axle when it comes to this subject. At least for me. As has been pointed out in numerous other threads I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major vendors when it comes to cyclones. Having seen the Clearvue and talked to them I think it is an excellent product with some great guys running the company. I also had concerns about the assembly required for the Clearvue as have others, and having seen what is required this is no longer a concern. Although I will have an electrician do the final wiring just to be safe. That is the one thing about the Clearvue, you just can't plug it in once it is mounted. Not sure whay they don't do the wiring for you, but it is not a big deal.

Any way I hope the information was useful...

David

Your post is *very* helpful, David... I've read most if not all of Bills web site and have been following the ClearVue for a while. Their product is obviously good; it's really nice to hear that its in good hands with the new owners too.

Thank you!!

Not sure why, but I can not see their website...

Would somebody be kind enough to post snail mail / telephone contact information for them here?

Jim, thanks for the feedback.

David, here is the contact information you requested:

Email:Sales@clearvuecyclones.com
    After Sales Support (Please use this e-mail for all after-sales support questions.)Phone802) 651-0768Mail:Clear Vue Cyclones, Inc
    8633 South 212th Street
    Kent, WA 98032

I was just on their website and while it works, there are a few bad links. Maybe they are updating it or working on it. But the main pages are working. Not sure why you can't get to it.

David

No idea, from work, home, or any of the Hotspots I have tried around town with the laptop... I just can't pull up their site. I am starting to wonder if the URL got on a SPAM blacklist somehow. My ISP filters known SPAM and malware domains. Maybe not the ClearVue site, but if they are on a web host that has bad stuff on it, they might be blocked...

David, that is strange. The site is working so that is not the problem. I access it through IE, not sure what browser you are using, but that might be a problem alhough highly doubtful. I tend to agree with your assesment that it is being blocked somewhere along the line. I am no computer expert (even though I am in the business), but if you haven't already you might check the settings on your browser. I think there is an access list where you can put the URL and see if that works. Of course you can do things the old fashioned way and call them, I am sure they will answer all of your questions and send you any info you need.