Thread: The jointer is at my house now!

Talking The jointer is at my house now!

Well, On wed. I made a nice leisurely 2hr 45min drive down to Pa to pick up my 12" jointer purchased on EBAY. Got to a VERY big ww'ing shop and was welcomed by the owner and some others and invited to lunch before loading the machine. Had a good lunch with nice conversation plus they bought! After lunch we walked out and it was snowing like a banshee! I figured it would be a short lived dusting. LOL. We loaded the jointer without a hitch and it was just as portrayed on EBAY. Very nice shape for a 1940 or so machine. It had been used about a year ago. They bid me goodbye and I started home.Well what was a liesurely drive there was a 5hr stress filled drive home on greasy slippery roads. I had to be to work at 7:00pm so I wound up just going straight there. Well, the jointer is in my driveway on the trailer covered with a tarp until I can get help unloading into the garage. It is HEAVY! The stand is solid cast iron about 2 inches thick in places! The cutter head spins freely with no noise when turned by hand. the seller says it should need a switch. Otherwise it is pretty much ready for action. More to follow when the beast is up and running.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hope you have some friends with strong backs and weak minds to help you unload that beast. I thought my DJ-20 was a chore, but now I have a new perspective! Being a fellow impulse buyer on ebay, I hope all you really need is a new switch. Either way, you are still way ahead when you consider the cost of a new 12" joiner. Besides, with the way that China is consuming the world's iron, the scrap value alone for that may be worth the price paid in a few years. What do you estimate the weight to be?

Thats a beauty!! Hope to see lots of updates as you go through it and get it up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk
    It is HEAVY!
    Please define HEAVY. I was worried about my 450 pound bandsaw, but I would expect that you have my bandsaw beat by 200 to 300 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Please define HEAVY. I was worried about my 450 pound bandsaw, but I would expect that you have my bandsaw beat by 200 to 300 pounds.
    Could be more that that, Frank!!

John, congrats on the new tool. Good aquisition, IMHO, and it will definitely mean more to you over time than a "new" one would have.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Frank,
    The seller estimated at 800 to 1000 pounds. I'd say it is every bit of 800. I had a tough time lifting the tongue of the trailer off of the hitch ball. I set the jointer a little forward of the axle for max traction but it is rare that I would have a tough time with a trailer tongue. I'll be taking the beds off to bring it to the basement. I should save some weight there. I'm gonna have to use some mechanical means for getting it to the basement I think.

Sorry, John, but in this case, I don't envy you! 800 lbs to move into your basement. Oh wait, yes I do, you've got a 12" jointer, and I don't

So what kind of machine is that?
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Yates American #10. Best I can find out so far is it was made around the 1940's. I wonder what it cost new. I paid $610.00 with a bit more to come. I feel like I got a bargain. The stand is just as solid as can be.

I can't tell you how much I'd like to have one of those. Please keep the update posts coming. With a little luck I'll follow in your footsteps someday.

what's up vanguard, haven't seen you here yet.

sascha