Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accident free question?

Idyllwild CA Southern Ca in the mountians 100 miles east of LA

Thumbs up Accident free question?

What do you think is the most dangerous machine in the shop and why. Not looking for gore here, just food for thought.

Radial arm saw = plumbers have no thumbs

Jim from idyllwild CA

I've read that statistically the bandsaw is the most dangerous machine in the woodshop. Personally, I fear the jointer the most. I've met a couple guys that sheared their knuckles off and it looks plenty painful.

Most dangerous machine/tool is the one you're operating at the moment...no matter which one it is.

KC

I fear the table saw the most. The main reason for that fear is kickback (something you don't get on a bandsaw).
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 01-21-2005 at 8:52 AM.

I feel the same as Kirk....I have a friend who lost fingers on his left hand from a miter saw and another who lost fingers on his right hand with the jointer. Any machine can be dangerous I have another friend who lost his index finger in a snowblower. I am always cautious and careful with every tool, but I guess I would be most fearful of the jointer.

Use to be the jointer, now it's the bandsaw.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I'll take Dick's endorsement. As for other machinery, remember this:

IT"S HARD TO HIT YOUR THUMB WHEN YOU HOLD THE HAMMER WITH BOTH HANDS

Maurice

From my personal experience, it would be the Table Saw, since it nearly took my thumb.

Radial Arm saw would be next and than after that the Miter saw.

Kirk actually has the correct answer for everyone. Powered or not it is the tool you are presently using or reaching for. Always use caution around power tools and sharp instruments, just ask Jim Becker about his accident - which didn't involve any power equipment at all.

When working at anything, keep your concentration at the THE TASK AT HAND and work at a safe speed and above all, if it looks too scary for you, then don't do it!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Good question /topic

From my personal experience, the only tool so far to send me to the emergency room is the ordinary bench chisel - 10 stitches. This occurred while filming the clock stories for issue #10. The cameras were not running and we opted to not start them to show the audience the problems. While the little voice in my head said "do this differently", the other voice inside said "gotta get this done as we are behind schedule". I will try to remember which voice to listen to from now on.

Frankly I think just about every tool out there can put you in the hospital. The table saw gets plenty of "press" because of the accidents people have with them - many very bad.

Having been around machine tools my entire adult life, I have learned to respect them for what they can do to me, but I refuse to be scared by them. Fear just seems to fog up logical thinking (as anyone with a fear of heights can tell you), so I would rather respect the tool.

Some of the machines I have been around are so big you could park your car on the machine's table (Bullard vertical lathes). Everytime I get near a tool or machine, I know the risks I am taking. I don't doubt for a minute that any tool or machine can make the "red stuff leak out". If I don't consider that the shop (and all of the tools in there) is a dangerous place, then I am just kidding myself and setting myself up for another trip to E.R.

Chris DeHut

I'm with the concensus here. Misuse or carelessness on ANY tool can lead to an injury. On a wood carving forum I was on a guy was carving and the chisel slipped and went right through his hand at the meaty part of his thumb. The faster it spins/moves the more potential for a more serious injury, but Bob Smalser likes to remind people a sharp chisel that slips out of it's handle can take a toe off or if it falls from above. . . *shudder*

Keith

While I agree with all the comments about "any machine can be dangerous", "the one you're using" and/or "turning off the machine between your ears" - I feel the single most dangerous machine in my shop is the shaper.

The main reason for that is the energy associated with a shaper cutter. Granted, I have a larger than normal shaper for a home shop, but even a Delta 3 HP shaper will spin a panel raising cutter that weighs a couple of pounds. Shaper cutters spin faster than saw blades and, because of the mass of the cutter - have a lot of energy out at those cutting tips. There are also times when there are good reasons to "climb cut" with a shaper, which means feeding stock in with the cutterhead rotation instead of against the cutterhead rotation. That means the workpiece is being sucked into the cutterhead. FYI, climb cutting should only be done with a power feeder that can control the stock and keep hands away from the cutterhead.

Shapers have the power to explode pieces of wood if they jam against the cutterhead and I don't think many other machines can do that.

"Most dangerous machine/tool is the one you're operating at the moment...no matter which one it is."

KC

I agree with KC. There are times that we can get overly comfortable with a particular machine, forget safety, and loose focus. Thats when the machine becomes dangerous. I have seen and heard about enough accidents with equipment( Terrible to see what some farming equipment can do to someone) to know that every machine is dangerous.

Now to be more specific, I think the table saw is probably the most dangerous, since it is used most often by woodworkers and easiest to remove/adjust safety devices and do without. ( Saw a guy wearing a long, heavy gold chain get it caught in the blade of a contractor saw. I swear his head was maybe 1" away from slamming onto the spinning blade when the chain snapped ) He did not want to take it off. He did not come back to work for a couple of days.)
    Charlie Woods

Do Or Do Not. There is No Try

Yoda

I don’t fear any of my machines but I have a healthy respect for all of them. The one WW machine I do not own for safety reasons, is the shaper.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Anything with moving parts close to your body.

My last nick came from a jigsaw bouncing out of the kerf. My last significant nick came when I laid my hand down on the scoring blade. Fortunately it was only a 1/32" above the surface.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

I would say the tablesaw. I think it could have the most devastating effect after an accident. You could go from a small cut, to an amputation, or a blunt force injury very quickly. Many machine we us can be dangerous but I think of this as about the worst with the Shaper/Router table next.