Thread: Laguna Robland X31 Questions

Laguna Robland X31 Questions

I have a potential opportunity to buy one of these machines and want to know from experience what people think of this machine. I have to act quick based ont he price and location. If I bought this I would then have to sell my Grizzly 1023S, Jet 6" Jointer and Ridgid Planer fairly quickly after purchasing. Those that have the machine or similar, do you like the combo and what draw backs from going away from dedicated tools.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I don't have the machine, but I seriously considered purchasing it. Late last year, I did a lot of research then decided against it. The biggest reason for this decision was that folks seem to have a lot of problems getting the machine set up and aligned. The support from Laguana appears to be a mixed bag. Also, it seems that Robland sometimes changes things and the Laguna folks are not aware of the changes.

Check out Combination Machines on the message board at the Laguna web site (http://www.lagunatools.ipbhost.com/index.php?) to see examples of some of these problems.

Scott

I recommend not buying a used Robland. It will only whet your appetite to get a MiniMax or Felder, and then your wallet would be in deep dudu.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

After thinking about it seriously today and also doing some web search/reviews. I decided it looked like a great machine if you have limited space and you get large machines for a small footprint. The big turn off was the lack of repeatability if you need to go back and forth between machines.

The killer thing is the unit I was looking at was 3 hours away for $2K. Considering your getting a $7K machine for that cheap is great. The guy has to sell because he lost the space. It's now sitting in a storage unit along with his LT16. He didn't even use the shaper sets and half the morticing bits.

I think I will hold out and upgrade to an 8" jointer, 15" planer and longer rails for my 1023S. My new shop will have 1008sqft, so I will have enough room for extras. Besides, maybe I will get lucky at a local shop closing auction tomorrow morning. They have a PM 8 jointer on the list.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

My opinion, buy it.

I think its worth buying just for the planer, jointer, mortiser and shaper. I bought one years ago and was very impressed. The motors are very powerful. The only thing that I disliked was the tablesaw's height adjustment and the clunky combo fence.

Ultimately, I got bitten by the bug that Michael referenced and I now have the Minimax CU-410.

My opinion, buy it.
    Paul Di Biasio
    Annandale, Virginia

for your consideration

As a professional carpenter, I have used this machine and if I had the opportunity to purchase one for 2K I would jump all over it. The jointer, planer shaper, mortiser make this a no brainer. I would keep my current TS as I don't much care for the table saw part of the machine (especially for ripping operations). But if it has the HD sliding table, once set up correctly, you would be styling! You just have to invest the time to set the machine up properly.
    My advice, don't let this one get away!

Scott,

As much as I would stay away from the Robland as a full combo, just the 12" jointer/planer is worth the $2K IMO. You'll spend $1500 just to get your 8" jointer and 15" planer. Add the fact that you get a shaper and mortiser with it and it's worth the $. A few years fom now you could probably sell the machine and not lose a whole lot, possibly even break even.

Rob

I have one.....

The 8' sliding table is GREAT!!!!
    The planer is powerful and wonderful to use. I know it can handle an 8" by 12" piece of oak...as that's what I fed it for it's first dinner upon arrival!!!
    The 12" jointer is great. I've even flattened bowl blanks with it.
    The tablesaw is very nice and there are red press buttons all around it to turn the machine off.
    The shaper works well.

The only thing I do not like about the X31 and have talked with Torben about it at length in the past.....is the FENCE!!!! I bought mine in 1999 and they have "improved" the fence somewhat since then.

If you have the money? MiniMax or Felder.....If you really have the money, start out with an Altendorf sliding tablesaw!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

If all the parts are there and everything works, for only 2k you would be crazy to pass it up. If you do buy it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without a euro style sliding table.

Like Hal said, just keep your old saw for a dedicated rip saw.