Thread: Saw vise

Saw vise

I went out to an antique store today to see what kind of tools I could find. I found more braces than you could shake an auger at (at a few augers too), some ratty wooden planes, some neglected metal planes, and tons of levels. There were a few saws too. I'm going back next week, as the place is HUGE and the hour of time I had was not nearly enough. One piece stood out, and for 12 bucks, I think I did pretty good! The only marking is "MADE IN U.S.A."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Blog Entries
    I have that exact vise - works like a champ. Oddly enough, I think mine was about $12 too, but I also had to pay $10 to get it shipped to me. Still think it was a great deal for how well it works.

I have that same vice, in fact just used it for the first time the other night. Gave $10 for mine from a garage sale and the best part is no file marks on the top of the jaws so I don't think it saw much use.

Mark where was this place at you were talking about? North west of you I hope.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Matt-I was at the Columbus antique mall. There's another place that's closer that I think I will visit soon too. I think I saw 10% of the place. I'm definitely going back. I only had 20 bucks with me, and I could have easily dropped $300 today. There are some non woodworking items that I hope to grab on my next visit. I want to see the rest of the place too. My dad was there a few weeks ago and told me he saw some transitional planes...which I'd like to have a look at. I saw several braces that I want to have a closer look at, with the intention of taking 1 or 2 home with me. I'm hoping that I can do some serious gloating soon.
    I got the saw vise because I want to learn to sharpen saws. I was surprised to see it, so I grabbed it up.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

I also have that same vise, but mine was in poor shape when I found it. I had to take the cam off another clamp that was in even worse shape. Got it put together, wire brushed it a bit (hand brush, not a wheel) and painted it with black epoxy spray paint. Now it works and looks great and counting the can of paint I may have $12 in it. Funny how that works out...

We have an antique store near us like that. I've spent hours browsing through the tools.
    Last time I was in there cost me a bundle, but I got some great tools.
    I have a couple of those vices, one is marked Sargent and the other is unmarked. I like them, just make sure the wing nut is cranked down tight or it'll move when you push the file through the teeth.

Paul