Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Please - Wavy cut from Miter saw

Advice Please - Wavy cut from Miter saw

All

I didn't see a post on this relative to a mites saw based on a quick search....

I have the new Bosch GCM12SD Glide miter saw. I wanted the 12" chop that Fine Homebuilding rated #1 but this is now phased out.

When I make a cut - either as a basic chop OR in slide mode I get a wavy cut. By that I mean that the remaining face when held to a straight edge has a wave in it. So If I were to make a cut and glue the freshly cut board to a straight board (butt joint) there would be a gap.

The gap is small but I paid $700 for furniture quality - as was given on the previous model.

I get this quality off my Sawstop -- so I want it off my miter for when I need to have multiple setups going at once.

I tried changing blades - I went to my 96t Freud that I had on my junk miter saw - smaller wave but still there.

Im thinking runout in the arbor is causing a wobble. Or for that matter anything in the rotor that would allow wobble (bearings, etc).

Any other thoughts?

Other than this issue - the saw is great!
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-13-2016 at 2:55 PM.

Can you post a pic of what you mean by wavy?

I know that my miter saw tends to push the piece away from itself, which results in a non-parallel cut. The solution is to make sure the piece is clamped or butted against a stop during the cut. If you do either of these things, does the waviness persist?

Sawstop with 10" blade, Bosch with 12" blade.

Is the blade on the Bosch a full kerf or thin kerf?
    If thin, try a full kerf.

Check for run-out and establish with Bosch that it is within spec, if not, let them deal with it.

Most saws you're going to have to nibble into a big cut unless the saw has a ton of mass and is very stiff. I do agree you need to check for run out as well.

Blog Entries
    Good advice here. It is disappointing when a well reviewed tool goes the way of the dodo due to factors beyond the quality of the tool. First step, clamp your work; that eliminates your grip as the problem. Second step, improve your blade; the factory blade will be OK for construction work (I never expect to get a finished cut from a miter saw) but, to get to your expected/acceptable level you may want a task-specific full kerf blade.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Your miter saw has some slop in a bearing or two creating the irregular kerf. Check out the flex at the end of travel.
    Bill
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-13-2016 at 2:55 PM.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

If there is runout in the blade it is likely that the problem is in the flanges that secure the blade to the arbor; inner and/or outer. The arbor could be out of spec, but that is less likely.

I have the same saw and have not experienced this problem. I did set mine up with a upgraded blade from infinity and it is a full kerf.

I'd check the arbor for burrs and any inconsistencies, then test it for run out. My 4 yr old dewalt SCMS will cut as true as I want (with high quality blades).

Wavy lines sounds like like there is something minute, yet prevalent in the arbor/flange.
    -Lud

You really need a negative hook angle trim blade made specifically for miter saws.

I get good cuts with no waviness from my Hitachi 12 inch non-slider. I think it has a Hitachi blade - which isn't great. I'd consider taking the saw back for replacement or repair. It shouldn't cut like that. I also have a Pro-Tech (inexpensive) 10 inch single bevel and it cuts fine too with a decent blade.

Have the same saw and the same problem, had the bearing replaces and is as good as new

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reda View Post
    Have the same saw and the same problem, had the bearing replaces and is as good as new

Bob
    the arbor bearing?

Hi David. I know that your post is old, but I'm curious to know if you were able to solve the problem. I too have the exact same problem. I love everything about the saw, except for the wavy cut that you describe. I have sent mine back to Bosch for repair. Was your problem the bearings, or something else. Thanks for any info you can give me.

I had trouble with that saw too, sold it and bought the makita 10” that will yield a 12” cut capacity. Also you will not get a “Furniture” quality cut from a mitre saw....