Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote switching for the HF 2HP DC...

Remote switching for the HF 2HP DC...

After seeing a few of the threads on the subject of switching dust collectors, I should probably be concerned with what I am doing...

My DC is up, and away from everything, and the switch is hard to get to in my arrangement, I have simply left the switch in the on position, and plug / unplug the DC to start / stop it. Chances are this is not a good practice. The question is... What remote switches are there out there that are rated for the 20 amp draw of the HF DC? Most I have seen only do 15 amps... I don't need fancy, I need function...

I should mention, with the planned electrical upgrades, the DC power will be located directly behind the dust collector, meaning a remote is a must have for me...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

My Long Ranger has worked perfectly, with my HF DC ... since first time ... and every time.

Got one on my JDS air filtration unit. Same deal.

Very happy with my LRs.

Long Ranger, that's the one from Penn State right?

I am a bit shocked the JDS air filter didn't have a remote of its own... I thought all of the air filters they sell are remote control units with timers...

I had pretty good success with the one that Woodcraft sells for the HF DC. I bought a few remotes and kept them hanging in strategic spots around equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Long Ranger, that's the one from Penn State right?
    Ayup.

Fifty bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworkin.../dp/B00004S9AI

I am a bit shocked the JDS air filter didn't have a remote of its own... I thought all of the air filters they sell are remote control units with timers...
    Mine was a used deal, from CraigList. Maybe a dozen years old, but in perfect shape. No timer. No remote.

I bring the remote upstairs, after I leave the shop. An hour later ... I simply hit the off switch. Thing has great range.

i have my HF DC plugged into an outlet that is wired to 3 switches, 2 3-way and 1 4-way. i can turn the DC on and off by flipping any of the switches. i have them mounted in the ceiling at various locations around my shop where the tools are. i just reach up and hit the closest switch when i need the DC
    If you don't make mistakes, you don't learn.

-- Sam Maloof

Mike: that's a great idea !

Never thought of that one....

+1 on the Long Ranger. I know it says that it is limited to 1 1/2hp but the hp reference is irrelevant. Switches don't have a clue what hp is, they only know Volts and Amps. If you read the specs, the 2hp HF DC is well within the Amp range that the Long Ranger can handle.

Cool idea on the ceiling switches Mike.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

the PO included a Long Ranger remote with my 3hp Oneida system. The LR works great with the 230v 14A (3hp) Leeson motor. BUT, the PO removed the LR's overload button and wired jumped across. No doubt nusiance trips were experienced far too often. I figure the contacts will weld together and the DC will not shut off before anything bursts into flame!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

+1 on the long ranger, had one for more years than I can remember. I you happen to want to turn it on from a couple of hundred feet away....it'll do it!

Long Ranger it is then. The rating was a bit confusing. 1.5 HP up to 20 amps... The HF DC is rated at 2HP 20 amps...

you have a 120 volt, 20 amp circuit? and the remote switch is only rated to 15 amps? I have that too... a woodcraft product. my guess is that the remote switch has a breaker that cuts out at 15 amps... so as long as the DC does not draw more than 15, you will be fine. the other possibility is that the switch does not have a breaker, and that if more than 15 amp were pulled through it, the internal wiring would heat up and be a fire risk... I think this is less likely. If I remember correctly, my woodcraft switch even has a breaker reset.

I am not an electrician. Outside chance I am completely wrong. but I think this is how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael MacDonald View Post
    you have a 120 volt, 20 amp circuit? and the remote switch is only rated to 15 amps? I have that too... a woodcraft product. my guess is that the remote switch has a breaker that cuts out at 15 amps... so as long as the DC does not draw more than 15, you will be fine. the other possibility is that the switch does not have a breaker, and that if more than 15 amp were pulled through it, the internal wiring would heat up and be a fire risk... I think this is less likely. If I remember correctly, my woodcraft switch even has a breaker reset.

I am not an electrician. Outside chance I am completely wrong. but I think this is how it works.
    I have a 120 volt, 20 amp circuit, yes. The Long Ranger remote is rated for 20 amps not 15... That's not what confuses me, it's the 1.5HP rating limit that the vendor has slapped on it... From everything I have seen that would mean the amperage limit should be 15 not 20....

Take a look at the specs...
    http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworkin...rd_add_1_dp_T2
    Last edited by David Hostetler; 02-11-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    the PO included a Long Ranger remote with my 3hp Oneida system. The LR works great with the 230v 14A (3hp) Leeson motor. BUT, the PO removed the LR's overload button and wired jumped across. No doubt nusiance trips were experienced far too often. I figure the contacts will weld together and the DC will not shut off before anything bursts into flame!
    Do you turn your DC on and off a lot, or leave it running?
    A friend of mine has a 3hp Oneida, and if he runs it for use of one tool, turns it off, then on again for another tool a few times, the motor overload trips and he has to let it cool.
    He called Oneida about it and they told him to leave it running.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    I have a 120 volt, 20 amp circuit, yes. The Long Ranger remote is rated for 20 amps not 15... That's not what confuses me, it's the 1.5HP rating limit that the vendor has slapped on it... From everything I have seen that would mean the amperage limit should be 15 not 20....[/URL]
    Yes, that's exactly what I was saying. I have exactly what you have (120v, 20a) and it works just fine. The 20amp rating on the HF Dust Collector is the peak draw. That is the maximum burst it could draw for a split second on start-up. If it doesn't trip your breaker, its not going to hurt the remote. I discussed this with Bill at Penn State before I bought it because I was confused just as you were. I called him back afterwards so he knows it works too.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty