Thread: Second HF with the Monster

Second HF with the Monster

Hi all;
    I mentioned that I had a second piece already on the lathe when I showed you my Maple HF. Well, it is finished. I used Tung Oil and it has worked out really well, 3 coats with fine steel wool between coats. I had seen the use of a post jam chuck somewhere and I use one for finishing the bottom, very slick I put a piece of coarse sand paper on the end of the post to drive the HF with the tailstock providing the pressure. I turned it down to a small nub and then removed that after I took it off the lathe.
    The HF is 5.5 x 4 diameter. the hole is 1 inch and the walls are thinned to 1/8 inch.
    Enjoy the pictures, my foot is less than 1/3 of the diameter and I have a little squareness going on in the mid section. Learning with each one....
    Peter F.
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 03-02-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Peter, looks like some nice clean work to me! Very thin, and well finished. Hard to get a perspective on the form with the angle of the pics, but looks like you have the technique down pat!

I think you've done a nice job, but I get dizzy if I tilt my head to far to the right.

I've used that long jam chuck method a number of times, and it's a good one.

I have seen these chucks before and planned on making one. I do have a question though, how do you accomdate a shorter or longer form? Do you have a different length bar for each piece you turn? There has to be a way to deal with differnt sizes. Maybe and adjustable cone to slide up and down the bar. Any suggestions?

BTW - Nice HF. I do like the small base.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E. Thompson View Post
    I have seen these chucks before and planned on making one. I do have a question though, how do you accomdate a shorter or longer form? Do you have a different length bar for each piece you turn? There has to be a way to deal with differnt sizes. Maybe and adjustable cone to slide up and down the bar. Any suggestions?

BTW - Nice HF. I do like the small base.

Mike
    Peter-Nice work. The form looks good to me. Mike, check out Don Pencils site for his version of an adjustable model. I have one and it works great on a variety of sizes.

Really nice HF. Form and finish look great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hi Bob;
    I went to the Don Pencil site to see the adjustable jam chuck and it looks fantastic. We all make many different styles of bowls and HFs so I think I will stick to making a custom one for each application. It only takes a few minutes to turn a post that will fit the specific form shape you need to work on. Don's chuck does look pretty neat and I am sure it works very well.
    Thanks all for the nice comments, HFs are much easier and sure nice to get such good results. Thanks to all those who recommended the Monster, Randy was a great guy to deal with.
    Peter F.

P.S. For a Moderator, my side view of the HF was right side up when I loaded it, how do I rotate it?

Peter - very nice work on your second hollow form! It's very satisfying to complete one of these beauties and you sure did a nice job on this one! These things do get somewhat easier as you gain experience but it is always a challenge to critique the form while it is still on the lathe!

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new Monster system!

I know of no way to rotate a photo once it has been uploaded to the Creek. Only way I can do it is to save the image to my computer, rotate it and replace the original.

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing HF #3!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thank you Steve;
    The HF picture is much easier to view in the upright position.....
    Peter F.