Thread: Wood Flooring Stapler

Wood Flooring Stapler

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, if not, I apologize. I was going to put a tongue and groove fir wood floor in my parents cabin as a gift to them. I've never installed a hardwood floor, but I think I should be able to handle it. It's only going to be about 400 s.f. of flooring. I already own a 2.5 gallon air compressor. I was considering buying a stapler, since I believe renting a tool might cost me the same amount. After looking on Amazon I was considering a Bynford stapler. They seem to have quite a bit of positive reviews. There are two Bynford staplers, with different staple sizes, SB97 and Senco "L". I was wondering if anybody could chime in on the difference of the type of staples, and if somebody could recommend which stapler I should buy.

Stapler 1

Stapler 2

Fir wood floor is probably going to be 3/4 inch thick. Both of those staplers are designed for laminate flooring that is less than 3/4 inch thick.

For myself, and the pro floor installers I've used and talked with, we all prefer cleats over staples. If you overdrive a stapler, the tongue often splits off the floor board. For a 400 sq ft install, and likely the only install you do, consider the harbor freight clone of the bostitch flooring nailer. Takes cleats or staples and is designed for 3/4 thick material.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....