Thread: $200 for used Delta Jointer- good deal?

$200 for used Delta Jointer- good deal?

Would you pay $200 for this jointer (assuming it's flat, runs well, etc). Seems like a little more than a benchtop jointer with an open leg stand. I don't know how old it is but can't find a comparable delta currently. I can find some jet open stand jointers, but jet tools seem to be overpriced. I can get a closed stand Grizz brand new in the $400-500 range.

I have a worn out central machinery jointer someone gave me a few years ago, but the fence is warped, won't lock down straight, and it only attaches on the infeed end, there's no support on the outfeed table and the fence moves- I don't feel safe using it.

I wasn't really in the market, but a friend told me about this, it's his dad's old jointer. barely used supposedly. I don't use the jointer much, so I'm not interested in a super duper 10-12" deal. I don't have room for one of those either.

photo.jpg
    Where did I put that?

Ah, the old Delta Deluxe. Probably has to be one of the most popular hobby shop jointers ever produced (just guessing). I've had one for years. $200 for one in good condition is probably a pretty good price for that jointer according to the CL ads I see for them now and then.

Over all, a solid machine if the tables are flat and the fence isn't warped. There were some questionable quality issues with that model in the mid 90's but mine has never had any issues other than the bed being way too short and the motor being way underpowered for any serious work.

Works great for small furniture projects though. Mine is going to be replaced soon by an 8" Grizzly or NewOliver when my shop budget will allow it.
    Last edited by Russell Smallwood; 03-04-2011 at 7:48 AM.

That model was my first jointer. I sold it 6 years or so ago and the guy who bought it showed up at my woodworking club meeting last month. He said its still going strong.

I believe it is 3/4HP so it may be a tad underpowered for face jointing, especially if you ever had thoughts of putting a spiral head on it, but it was a perfectly usable machine. The closed base machines you are talking about probably aren't much different other than the closed base and maybe a 1/4HP more.

If the jointer is bolted to the stand in that photo, figure out why its skewed--that would affect pulley alignment.

If the size fits your projects, go for it and spend the other $$ on lumber. I have it's older brother, '43 born on date, and it works great!

If you can get it for $175 it would be even better.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    If you can get it for $175 it would be even better.

John
    I haven't seen one show up on CL (ATL) for less than $200. Granted, that doesn't mean that they sold for that, but most of the ones I see come up for sale are not nearly as nice as the one the OP has found.

KC,

IMO, it depends on what you plan to use it for. FYI, I did hobby woodworking for 30+ yrs without an electric jointer. A couple years ago, I decided it was time and had my eyes on this Delta model. Finding none on CL, Woodworker Supply put them on sale at a very good price. However, I was too late and they all sold before I got my order in. Following that, a fellow creeker told me about a 6" Steel City Long Bed on sale at the local Woodsmith store. Appearing to be a great deal, I bought that and have been very satisfied. Using this machine, I can understand fellow creekers that pitch 8" machines. But, I don't do a lot of face jointing. However, I absolutely love the long bed - the longer bed means straighter work. Bottom line, I'm so glad I missed the sale on the Delta 4"ers as it would have been undersized for even the work I do. Bottom line, it solely depends on what you plan to use it for. IMO, the price is right, and you should be able to hold your money together if you need to resell it.

FWIW, that same model is currently on Houston Craigslist for $300.00 so $200.00 in good shape seems like a good deal to me...

Sorry to hear about your Central Machinery jointer. I know a few guys with them and they seem decent enough. Sounds like you got a dud...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I had that jointer until I bought my 8" last year. It worked very well; I sold it for $250; probably could have sold three of them that week! $200 sounds like a good deal, go for it!

I've had that jointer for about 4 years. I got it at Lowe's clearance table for $245. It's worked great. I've had to replace the switch on it once $14 with shipping. It's a good machine but it requires a bit of fiddle-ing to get good square and flat surfaces.

$200 is a good but not great price IMO.

I like mine and use it all the time. $175 would be a better deal.

I don't use a jointed a whole lot but I've owned that model for about 8 years. Only jointer I've ever owned so I don't have anything to compare it to. The machine has worked well. Like most jointers, it was a pain for me to set up the first time. I haven't had any problems with it. $200 seems like a good deal for one in the condition that one appears to be in. By the way, I did put mine on a mobile base.