Thread: Check out Delta's new tablesaw.

Check out Delta's new tablesaw.

Just got an e-mail from Delta. Here's the link.
    http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=5850

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk
    Just got an e-mail from Delta. Here's the link.
    http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=5850
    That's gotta be a real interesting design, John, as they say in the specs it is a left tilting blade, even says tilts away from the fence, yet in the picture they show, the motor is mounted on the right side of the saw, and the tilt wheel is on the left side of the saw (just like all their Right tilt saws). I'm wondering if they got their pics mixed up, or if not, how they accomplished this. Interesting, no??

The problem with all of those Hybrids is taht they only come with a marginal increase in power over a normal contractor style saw. At 1 3/4 hp, I think I'd spend a little more money and get something with 3 hp. Just MHO.

Maurice

The funny thing is that they call this a new design. Isn't the saw Jim Hinze bought (used) a few months ago essentially the same thing?

Norman,

My Craftsman hybrid (3/4 cabinet) is left tilt and itsthe same way - tilt wheel is on the left and the motor swings out to the right.

Maruice - the dust collection is a lot better on the hybrid and the trunions are cabinet mounted so two of the major issues for contractor saw are avoided. More power would be nice (maybe) but for a home shop you can't beat the $386 I paid. Hard to get a even a decent contractor's saw in that range.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison
    Norman,

My Craftsman hybrid (3/4 cabinet) is left tilt and itsthe same way - tilt wheel is on the left and the motor swings out to the right.
    Hmmmm........, well, since Craftsman got on the market first, maybe Delta had a spy in Craftsman's new design co's drawing room, you think? At least it sounds like someone has actually designed a feature or two that was different from the ages old designs, instead of painting a new color or stripe and then letting Madison Ave hype it as a brand new machine. Maybe this will kickstart others into the "Think Mode" and adding things like Blade Guards & Splitters that can actually be used easily to even maybe some features the European saws have, (like Riving knives, etc.) and possibly more logical adjustment features like one model of the Rigid that allows you to adjust the saw blade parallel with the mitre slot from the side of the saw, etc.

Guess I'll have to take a look at one of these to see what all they've done that's new. (Don't think I'll trade off my PM-66 just yet though)

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 01-22-2005 at 7:22 PM.

Actually Delta has had these saws on the Canadian market for 18 months, they were at the wood shows, in the local stores but not on their website. I almost bought one at the first show I saw it back in Sept os 2003, I couldn't believe how cheap they were until I looked under the hood, they are not much more than their upper end contractors saw on a cabinet with the motor enclosed. I know a few folks with them and the dust collection is good but they are no smoother in cut than a contractors saw from what I have seen. They do have excellent fence options and I think the saw would meet the needs of most hobby woodworkers.