Thread: Washing Machine repair

Washing Machine repair

The belt for our 8 year old washing machine broke. Do they just break by themselves or do they break trying to spin the tub? In other words, should I replace the belt or go and look at new washing machines?

Thanks,
    Dennis

Dennis -

Only 8 years old? I would replace the belt. Check the solenoids on the transmission arm while you have it turned up. One of them might have decided to quit, too.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    The belt for our 8 year old washing machine broke. Do they just break by themselves or do they break trying to spin the tub? In other words, should I replace the belt or go and look at new washing machines?

Thanks,
    Replace the belt, then buy yourself a nice tool as a reward for being thrifty.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Buy a belt !

Eight years old ? Heck, you should get at least 15 years out of a washing machine I'd say. Probably longer. There should be a lot of life left in that thing.

Kenmore/Whirlpool?

If washer is one of the above there is a secret to replacimg the belt. Do not drop the transmission to get the support post inside the belt. There is a sleeve in the post just wide enough for the belt to slip inside. It will be hidden by dust and grease. The bolt is six inches long. remove and the sleeve can be pushed out.

Bill in WNC mountains

Dennis....we've been married 36 years and we are on our 2nd washing machine. The first last about 25 years. I replaced a belt, a couple of solenoids. When the timer/control failed, I replaced the machine. By all means, replace the belt.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks for the help guys. I was wondering if something locked up and caused the belt to fail. The last washing machine I replaced had a bad water pump which caused the motor to fail somehow. At least that's what the repair man said. It was going to cost over $300 to fix so I just sent him on his way and bought another. I'll find a belt on monday and see what I can do.
    Dennis

I just replaced the belt in my Sears(Kenmore) washing machine and while I wouldn't say it was a tough job, it was not the easiest job I've ever done. As was mentioned earlier the Sears belt is a little tricky to get on. Fortunately, I bought the belt from an independent supply house and the folks were very helpful about the special tricks need to change out the belt. They even had a demo washer with the shell cut away so they could point out the tricky parts!!! There were also very detailed instructions on the box that the belt came in. Doubt you would get that kind of service from the Sears parts department.

DON'T tip the washer over on its side to do this job or you may lose some of the oil out of the transmission. If you can find some help, put the washer up on a bench and tip it no more than about 45°. Makes the job go a lot easier!!! Wish I hadn't learned this the hard way. Think I paid about $17 for the belt and it took about an hour to install. The service guy wanted a little over a hundred bucks to come to the house and do it.

Randy, I have the front off the machine and have a pretty good view of the pulleys. I'm thinking I can put the belt on without tipping the machine back. Did the front come off of yours or did you have to access it through the bottom of the machine?
    Dennis

I did mine from the back and the bottom. Probably could have done it all from the back if it had been up on a bench; but I was working on the floor.

Success!

I bought the belt on Monday, but didn't get a chance to put it in until Tuesday. It didn't take any tools--The belt is tensioned with a spring loaded pulley. Works great. Thanks for all your help.
    Dennis