Thread: Worksharp 3000 Users

Worksharp 3000 Users

I've given my WS 3000 a workout over the past couple of days and replaced a worn 400g abrasive on the glass wheel this morning. The adhesive didn't want to let go. I couldn't peel it off. I tried denatured alcohol and acetone. Acetone worked best, but I fought this thing for about 15-20 minutes. How do you guys remove these things? BTW, I do have short finger nails, don't bite them, but do trim them close.
    Last edited by Gary Hodgin; 03-05-2011 at 4:25 PM. Reason: 400g, not 120g as originally posted

I haven't had to deal with any stubborn adhesive. I would probably use a razor blade scraper & acetone if I needed to.

I thought about using a razor blade but was afraid I'd scratch the glass wheel. Maybe the others will not be as difficult.

I'd bet that heat would loosen it quickly. I would try a domestic hair dryer. I had a 12" stationary disc sander that was a nightmare. A little heat and patience... no problem.

Good luck!

Scott in Montana

Blog Entries
    I wave a heat gun at it and get the edge up. Then I grab that edge of the abrasive with pliers and lift up as I continue to fan the heat gun along the abrasive surface where it is releasing its grip. Clean up is with a squirt of Naphtha (lighter fluid) and a piece of paper towel. Great timing I just changes out a couple discs on the WS3K and my scary sharp plates about an hour ago.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Maybe because my shop is only heated when I'm in there, but mine peel right off.

Ah, the heat gun. Didn't think about that. Thanks, I'm pretty sure that'll work. BTW, the WS is a great machine.
    Last edited by Gary Hodgin; 03-05-2011 at 6:23 PM.

I've used MEK (methyl ethyl keytone) to remove sanding disks from my 12" disk sander. Works great to dissolve the adhesive, but it sure is nasty stuff. I wear rubber gloves and open all the doors and windows for ventilation. Don't know why it wouldn't work on particularly stubborn disks on the WS3000.