Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: "old money"

getting there.....the corrugation and tape are much more refined.

the other side....

Yep. I'm startin' to believe! Love that the more ratty the boxes are ... The more they have to cost!

4. Randall, I know you use micron pens but what do you use to seal the wood so the ink doesn't run and how smooth must the wood be before you begin the art work. I wish you would include a photo of some of your sanding tools, I'm still struggling to get my work smooth enough for painting/writing on. I think I own every kind of sander known and sometimes none of them are what I need

Following along closely
    Charles

5. Your not real, your stuff was carved by aliens with far superior tools!

kenneth...i had a visitor this week who was shocked at how basic my tools are. i put two watered down coats of outdoor poly to seal and UV protection and then a few coats of acrylic paint background color. i mix enough so i can go back repeatedly and have it match perfectly. (no one bats 1000)

charles...ok i'll do that. my big trick is home made sanding disks and gluing sandpaper to various objects. painter's pallet knives , saws, and the stirring sticks that come with gallon cans of paint are favorites. i shape and glue the sticks to do specific tasks. today i cut a section out of a radio antenna with an 1/8th inch OD and put it in a rotary tool. crimped the other end a bit and put a carving burr in it. ta da.....reach way in there! ok...maybe not that simple.
    Last edited by randall rosenthal; 03-22-2014 at 11:43 PM.

homemade tools.

C'mon Randall who you trying to kid

Looks like these are also carved, you sneaky guy you. Shows ingenuity!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

almost far enough to start painting. off for my annual spring snowboard trip .........a different kind of carving fun!

another view...

ok....i was very excited when this thread had 10K hits.....200K was a little outside my expectations. just another chance to thank everyone who's taken the time to follow along.....i truly appreciate it!

BTW...having a great time carving snow...one of my favorite mediums.

Randall,

I stumbled on your thread the other day and was amazed. I read the entire thread from start to finish. You are a rare craftsman and I enjoy watching your work. I shared your thread with some others on another forum and one craftsman in particular, Trevor. I think you might be interested in his thread and thought I'd share it with you. He is a fan of your work! http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/2...rcycles-55257/ I hope you enjoy it, I am not trying to hijack your thread, I just felt you may enjoy seeing what other artists are doing...

Paul

no problem paul......i enjoy looking at what others are doing.

meanwhile back at work........

moving right along