Thread: Burled Poplar Form w/ pedestal

Burled Poplar Form w/ pedestal

Hey All,
    Here is a Burled Poplar Form I finished last week. It is 7-1/2" tall and 9-1/2" wide. It was a Burl Cap that I had for awhile. It seems only lately have the creative juices really started flowing again. I seem to go through stages where I can't seem to see a finished turning in a piece of wood, then something triggers me, and off I go. Does anyone have the same affliction? Anyway this will also go to the show this fall. As usual, I ebonized a Holly Pedestal and finished it in flat lacquer. The form is Beall buffed with Trip and Ren Wax. Your comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

2. Now that one has some pizzazz, Ken.........love your pedestal on this one...........unusual lighting on the pics as well........very nice!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger,
    My photography is always a work in progress. I used three 300 Watt Halogen lights on the sides of my tent and it cast a funky hue, but hey, no shadows? LOL
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

This is really very nice; the wide burl on that pedestal almost looks tipsy but at the same time it shows off a great design. The black pedestal goes nicely with the dark spots in the burl.

Nice work Ken, looks almost fluid. You obviously have a lotof fun behind the lens as well.

Ken, this one is very unique!! I like the design on the pedestal and the whole piece has excellent proportions. Poplar burl is a rarity IMO - this is the first I have seen. What about this image - is it closer?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really nice piece Ken. I like it all the way around. I really like that pedestal.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John,
    That's what my eyes saw when I shot it, but my lighting mucked it up pretty bad. I need to get some Florescent bulbs, but it seems everything else takes precedence.

Bernie,
    Thanks. I never know what my Pedestals will look like until I start turning them. Weird, huh.
    Regards, Ken

Ken - that's pretty cool looking! I like the sense of motion it projects! Should be a big hit at your show!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very neat piece Ken. I like the piece a lot but the cone shape in pedestal may take a little getting used to for me. The overall size and height of the pedestal seems to fit the top very well!

Ken,
    Looks like a great piece for the fall show. I know it would look great on my mantel.

Steve M,
    Your welcome to come to the Strawn Art Gallery, November 3rd and buy it, and put it on your mantel. I'll even give you a ticket to the Gala. LOL
    Regards, Ken

the upside down picture shows the burl off best! Glad your trigger got limbered up..this is very pretty
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Blog Entries
    I'd say that the juices are flowing,,,, like a tsunami! That is just georgeous!!!! Almost looks like a fountain of burl. Excellent job, thanks for sharing.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.