Hi Mark,
The point that I see is the the TOS does not say explicitly that links to e-bay are not permitted. As a result, in good faith a user checks the TOS and finds the section on posting links to be vague and ambiguous but understands the underlying theme to be use your best judgement. The user should not have to search up these recurring threads to find the refinements to the TOS. As a result the user posts their link and the moderator informs them "however gently" that they should not have posted the link. Surprised that they have not understood the TOS they reread and find that they don't see the error of their ways. So they ask the question and start a new thread. The responce that comes back is a very clear statement of what cannot be linked along with an admission that the TOS is vague and a statement that the TOS is the result of the wishes of the majority at the time of instatement. To me it seems that the TOS would benifit from being clarified, and the TOS is not strictly a Mandate from on high, but reflects the intentions of the community and can bear the weight of discussion. None of this takes away the sovereignty of the SMC owners. I am more confused about the manufacturers forums but that is another subject.
Thanks for listening
Chuck