Thread: Cherry Roll Top Desk

Cherry Roll Top Desk

You know how you file those magazines away that has a project that you say "I'd like to build that one of these days"? Well, the LOML wanted her own private desk, not too elaborate, but all hers. I went through my collection of magazines and plans and showed her this desk in Woodsmith #103, she said "That's exactly what I want, but I want it to different than the white oak stuff you usually build". Well, off to Austin Hardwoods to pick up some decent cherry. It was the first tambor project that I've built, and was a little apperhensive about building it, but following the directions in the magazine, it came out fine, except that I added some small tacks at the base of the lift rail an a few space in some of the slats. I found some black canvas at a local fabric store, which when completed, you won't see anyway. I still have the desk organizer that fits inside to do. Anyway here's a progess picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Herb
    Carrollton, Texas

Whatever you are, be a good one. -Abraham Lincoln

That's a great looking desk. Now she will have you looking through those magazines for some chair plans. It never ends. But, it is nice to be able to make something that will be past down for generation for someone you love. Great job.

Nice looking "progress shot" It's going to be stunning when you're completely finished.

Nice desk Herb, Cherry is my faverite wood. I started a rolltop 30 years ago but gave up mostly because space in the house.
    Earl

SWEEEET. Glad your wife held out for no oak. This looks real nice in cherry. Can't wait to see pics after it's finished.
    This ought to earn enough points with her to allow you to go out and buy new toys (tools) too!
    Use the fence Luke

Herb, That's looking Mighty Fine, and I look foreward to seeing the finished project. I've always intended to build a Roll Top for my Wife, but something else always seemed to come up. I have made a couple of Tambours and the grooved ends for others, and enjoyed those projects, and still intend to make one for the wife if I ever get this shop up and running. I hope my choice of Mesquite will turn out as nice as yours in cherry.

Nice job! I remember looking at those plans as well. I 've build several projects over the years from woodsmith.I've alway like the no nonsence approach to there designs. mso has that same desk on her honey do list as well. Keep up the good work! Don't forget to show us the completed project when finished.

Russ

Nice work, Herb. Now, off to the gallery. How will you do the joints with the pigeonholes?
    Alan

Now that is a cool looking desk! I am sure that she will love it!

Herb Very nice Cherry is my favorite also How are you going to finish it? IMHO oil does wonders on cherry. Anxious to see it done Thanks
    Jerry

Not sure how to finish it right now. I'm open to suggestions. In the past I've accelerated aging (with easy-off), and then used oil. I've been looking around for different ideas as this desktop has some very nice figure and I don't want to mess it up. I'm especially concerned about matching some lighter areas to the other.
    Herb
    Carrollton, Texas

Whatever you are, be a good one. -Abraham Lincoln

Herb,
    As to the finish to even the color, that depends upon what color you want to finish with, and what finish you will use. Japan colors, which are really thick oil based paints, can be miixed to the correct color, and added to an oil varnish mixture, and then applied selectivly to erase sapwood. I have done that often, and you can't tell what I've done when I'm through. Just one way; there are others.
    Alan

excellent work!!!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"