Thread: Another Tool Question-cordless drill/drivers

Another Tool Question-cordless drill/drivers

OK, I have one. But it is about dead, and time to replace it. I've been out looking and like the feel/heft of the 12 volt DeWalt lithium-ion tools. Right now I have a 14.5 Ryobi. Worked great, but it's heavy and bulky.

My needs are pretty simple--mostly used to mount face plates, occasionally screw a couple of studs together, etc. This is not a tool that will see many hours of use every day. So if I can drive a few 3 inch screws, or a bunch of smaller ones I'm likely to be happy. I did look at the 18 volt tools, but most of them are way heavier and bigger than I care for--and I really don't think I need that kind of power.

The batteries don't look like they will drive hundreds of screws without stopping, but that's not my big concern.

Does anybody have one of these and are you happy with it? Would it stack up favorably power-wise with the old Ryobi? Opinions please!

Dale;
    I do not have one but my brother speaks highly of his and he is a plumber and uses it all the time... Milwalkie (Sp??) a small stubby driver.
    Peter F.

Dale - I have gone through some drills over the last 10 years or so - starting with the Ryobi 14 volt. Nice drill, heavy but worked well. When it died, I moved up to the Ryobi 18 and really liked the power but it was really heavy when compared to the 14 and when using it for extended periods of time - really got my arm tired! I had 8 batteries for it - so when I used it for extended periods of time - I mean 8 hours or so (I was building decks). When it finally died - my wife surprised me with the Makita and it is by far the best drill I have ever used! Very light weight and enough power to drive hundreds of screws - used it when I built my deck. The battery charges in 15 minutes and lasts at least twice as long as the Ryobi under heavy use and it felt like less then half the weight! Expensive? Yup. More drill than you asking about? Probably... but it is compact, lightweight and comfortable to use.

I used mine when building a deck and now it is mainly used to change out chuck jaws. Nice thing is - in less than 15 minutes I can have a fully charged battery and use it to tackle any project! Seriously - very nice drill! My wife picked up the drill at Ace - while they were having a big sale!
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 03-20-2011 at 10:34 AM.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Dale, I have the same makita as Steve (except mine came with the impact), and really like it. It is expensive though. I also have a 12V rigid that has lasted quite a while with light use, although, I think it may be time to grease something, because I'm getting an electrical smell from it when I use it. The one I most use for faceplates though, is a little dewalt stick type driver (dw920) which is only 7.2 volts. I think I got this on clearance from home depot for under $50. Before the dewalt, I had also been considering one of the small bosch drivers. I think for your very light use, and only screwing things, one of these drivers would be perfect.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I have a Hitachi 12 volt drill/driver trhat I like alot-light weight and less bulky. I also have the DeWalt 18 volt drill/driver and the Dewalt 18 volt impact.
    The DeWalts are the heavy duty work horses but on average the Hitachi is a great value (alot less expensive than the DeWalts) and for the average shop will work just fine.

I have the 18 volt Mikita also. I use it everyday, including using it with a 4" hole saw. I have 2 batteries and have to swap them about once a week. I actually got it for free from Amazon when I purchased a 12" Makita miter saw.

My Makita is older and heavier, but it is a workhorse and I would recommend the brand. It came/comes with 2 batteries and charges faster than you can wear one down so you are never forced to wait for charging. As others have said, it was expensive and may be more than you need.

Dale, I have a set from Menards that is on sale here in town right now for $89. They are 12v lithium and I have put them through the paces and they have not failed me yet and the little impact has plenty of power to drive 3" screws and last a long time for their size. For the price they are hard to beat, my buddy bought a Milwaukee of the same size and they feel identical and I can't tell the difference in performance. Here is a picture of what I have.

The flashlight and the little recipricating saw work great too!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

9. You can't go wrong with the above mentioned Makita, and I also have a Milwaukee 18M lithium Ion set that is as good a drill driver as I have ever used, and I have used a bunch in my time. I have Porter Cable 19.2 V drills and small circular saws, and they are very good, but this Milwaukee has so much torque and has a hammer drill feature and mine was in a combo set with a battery powered sawzall as well..........both are great tools!

I have bosch 12v ion I-driver as well which is good, and will drive screws at a lot of different angle settings as the head is adjustable for angles.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

hi jeff,
    wondering does your local store have a web site.would like to buy them myself.

thanks patrick