Thread: Starter heaters for new electric motor,need help with size.

Starter heaters for new electric motor,need help with size.

Hi,
    I will be replacing 2HP motor with 5HP motor and need help with size of heaters for starter.
    New motor is 14 A and SF 1.Starter is Westinghouse A200M1CAC.I am lost,can someone please help.
    Thank you.
    Starter picture.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
    Jaromir

Hi Jaromir, check with your local electrical supplier, however I believe part # FH45 is for 13.6 to 14.9 amperes.

Should be about $50 for three elements...........Rod.

Yes,FH45 is right.I did call electrical supplier today.
    Thank you.
    Jaromir

Quote Originally Posted by Jaromir Svoboda View Post
    Hi,
    I will be replacing 2HP motor with 5HP motor and need help with size of heaters for starter.
    New motor is 14 A and SF 1.Starter is Westinghouse A200M1CAC.I am lost,can someone please help.
    Jaromir, a 14A/230V motor does not sound like an honest 5hp motor to me. More like 3hp. Your Westinghouse Size 1 starter is a 3-pole (3-phase) unit, only rated for a 3hp motor at 230V, single phase. The starter's specs are listed in the ebay auction ad.

At any rate, for a 14A single phase load, you need only one FH45 heater. A #12 jumper wire can be used across the other pole of the overload block. The third pole is not used.
    Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Jaromir, a 14A/230V motor does not sound like an honest 5hp motor to me. More like 3hp. Your Westinghouse Size 1 starter is a 3-pole (3-phase) unit, only rated for a 3hp motor at 230V, single phase. The starter's specs are listed in the ebay auction ad.

At any rate, for a 14A single phase load, you need only one FH45 heater. A #12 jumper wire can be used across the other pole of the overload block. The third pole is not used.
    Chip,it is 3PH motor,starter is good up to 7.5 HP,if I use 240V -3PH.

Thank you.
    Jaromir

Quote Originally Posted by Jaromir Svoboda View Post
    Chip,it is 3PH motor,starter is good up to 7.5 HP,if I use 240V -3PH.

Thank you.

This is what happens when ALL details are not provided in a post, in most cases people here will be using single phase....

Then you are Good To Go, Jaromir! Three FH45 heaters will be needed in the overload block for 3-phase.
    Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!