Thread: Cyclone drum height

Cyclone drum height

Can someone who has a G0441 or similar 55 gal drum measure the height from the floor to the top of the lid?
    I have the 35 gal under a G0440 but I have the cyclone mounted to the upper area of the stand and suspect I could put the larger drum under it.

Reason I want to is I now overfill the drum often because I think "It's not that full yet" and then don't check it soon enough again. Ideally I would have a sensor but I haven't figured out that yet despite reading a few posts here about that. So, that's another issue I could use some help with. The simple answer I guess is check it often and dump it, but that relies on my memory and judgement, neither of which are reliable!

Blog Entries
    A standard drum (open top barrel) is 34.5 inches (880 mm) tall with a diameter just under 24 inches (610 mm). If you are handy with a metal cutting blade on your sawsall, cut a slot up the side near where you want to empty the barrel and cover the slot opening with clear plastic. You can heat sheet lexan in your home oven to about 160 degrees and it will be come pliable. Lay the hot sheet over the opening and let it conform to the drum. Once the plastic cools, attach it with screws or with silicone to the side of the drum. You should be able to see the dust level when the cyclone isn't running.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee. The reason I asked about the Grizzly G0441 is the drum is just an extension of the one I have now. I suspect I could get the extension and add to mine if it fits.
    I like the slot idea if I can see thru it. Right now my clear hose to the top of the drum is hard to see clearly if there is material in it. It always has a dusty coating on the inside. That's how I overfilled it last time. It looked like it was open but dusty, but it was actually full!

Blog Entries
    Try wiping the inside of the hose with one of those anti static dryer sheets. I know it works to keep sawdust off a palstic face shield.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Well forget the drum extension! I just looked it up on Grizzly's site and they want $180!!
    I may do what Lee suggests. Overfilling is not a good thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Well forget the drum extension! I just looked it up on Grizzly's site and they want $180!!
    I may do what Lee suggests. Overfilling is not a good thing.
    You beat me to it but I was going to say, for the cost of the extension, you can buy a drum sensor ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I just bought the G0441 and am only using the bottom of the barrel to save on height, I might be able to get rid of the extension piece, but shipping would be a bear I think. I am still in the process of getting it ready to hang now that the shop is complete and have moved all my stuff in
    Last edited by bruce buren; 03-09-2011 at 6:26 PM.

Bruce, don't know if you are willing to give it up but I could be interested in it if the shipping wasn't too bad. I'd suspect it would be around $20 unless it qualifies as oversize in which case it would probably be prohibitive.

Rick, I'll get some measurements on it and see what shipping will be. I don't plan on using it, my ceilings are 9' and i dont plan on ever moving now that the house is done and shop is in walkout basement NEVER to be moved again!