Thread: Drum Sander gloat

Talking Drum Sander gloat

My 16-32 came in today, I really wanted the 22-44 but due to budgetary restrains the 16-32 will have to due. I found the machine right on out of the box. assembly was very easy. after a few test boards I'm very happy with the results. It's a machine that I've looked at and had on my wist list for a long time now. Though it 16-32 I still feel it will more fill my needs. And to fulfill the requierments of the forum 1 pic. attached

Russ

Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on the new addition, Russell! I have its distant relative, the Delta version and, being so similar in design, I think you're going to especially love it when finishing up on figured woods. Really excells on stuff like that.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Russell, I have the 16-32 for now going on four years. I've not regreted it a day I've owned it. the bigger machine is great if I could have afforded it. But I've done 30" doors with my 16-32 NO Problem! just a few more minutes of my time. Enjoy!!
    Jerry

Russell -

Congratulations on your new acquisition. It will be a valuable addition, I am sure.

Ted

Welcome to the 16-32 club
    Planer tearout on figured wood will now just become a dim memory for you.
    Use the fence Luke

Nice Machine Russell. I have that very same model and have used it quite a bit. I like it alot.
    About the onle advice I could give is to put some locking casters on the legs.
    Like the other guys said planer tearout is history. Enjoy your new toy,err.. tool

Congratulations on your new sander, Russell. It's nice tool to have in the shop. Enjoy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congrats. I got one about two weeks ago and really love it and have used it quite a bit already. I got mine from Northwest Power Tools and they have the best price on sandpaper for it.

I have had my eye on that sander as well! It is on my list of major tools that I would like to purchase!

Congrats on the new sander!

Congrats on your new purchase. I've been thinking of purchasing one of these, but I'm a little confused how they work. I haven't seen one in person yet.

When you try to sand a larger piece of wood, how do you support the portion that is sticking out? Simple question, but I don't know. Do you even need to?

thanks,
    chris

Hello Chris, lenth wise or width? There are pressure rollers on either side of the drum. That puts pressure on the work piece as it goes thru. If the work piece is wider than the drum you should support it by hand as it goes thru. They do make outfeed tables for this unit but, I'm still contemplating making my own.

Hope it helps,Russ

Very nice addition! Congratulations!
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Russell, thanks for that info. I figured that was the case, but I just wanted verification before I purchase one. Sounds like everyone really likes these machines.

thanks,
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Congratulations on your new sander, Russell. It's nice tool to have in the shop. Enjoy!
    By halftime of the Superbowl, your gonna' be too upset to work around machinery, Jim.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain