Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop

Sawstop

First off, I want to say that I don't want this thread to turn into a bash of Sawstop.

I am writing for your advice...

I have taken time off from my woodworking because of several family issues and now I am thankfully forced back full stream as we are expecting a second baby in the spring...Time for a new crib and other furniture that we need to populate our house.

Next week, I am going to have the ability to buy a few new tools that will be tools that I will use for a long time down the road.

I am going to buy a sawstop for sure. I know that I will be spending lots of hours in the shop down the line with my son and it will give both my wife and I great piece of mind. That is something that priceless in my opinion.
    Now for my sawstop question...If you had the ability, would you lean toward a PCS or ICS for non-production woodworking? Is there a good reason to step up to the ICS? I already have a 1 3/4 hp saw and do want the 3 hp for cutting the tough stuff. I just don't think I will need the ICS over the PCS...I am looking for sharing of ideas btwn the two.

Thanks for any insight,

Grub

It's hard to give a frank and unbiased opinion if one doesn't have both or at least used both.
    I have the ICS version and am quite happy with it. I have looked at other brands/models and this looks very well built and that doesn't mean
    just heavy, rather well thought and engineered. I had to gut it out completely to take it to my basement shop and had to put it back together
    and do appreciate how well designed it is.
    Having said that I have looked at the PCS version and it looks every bit as well designed as this one. Where the ICS version is better is bigger
    table top and heavier trunnion (which the latter I think won't matter to you). If I had to buy one new NOW I would be leaning towards the PCS
    version and use the extra grand or so I save on other shop equipments but if you have the money and want to buy the best cabinet saw
    then go with the ICS version and you won't look back. I think almost surely a 3HP would be enough in 99% of situations for a hobbyist (although
    I have managed to nearly stall my 3hp one while trying to cut a 3" very very hard piece of maple using a sharp rip blade).

It's interested that you mention a near stall. I had Unisaw (still US made at the time) before my 3hp Sawstop. The Unisaw has 3 parallel belts transferring power to the arbor. I has a different feel to it.....a heavier, louder "clunk" when it is powered up and really seemed to cut more easily. I have always thought that this design has more torque. Sawstop has just two multi-v belts in sequence. I was concerned about this before buying and, of course, Sawstop told me their design gives the same torque. I'm glad I won't cut off my fingers or worse, but I miss the feel of my Unisaw.
    Gregg Feldstone

I have the PCS and have never had any problems with it - or anything it wouldn't cut. It's powerful enough for all my work.

And a comment about torque on motors (and saws). HP is torque times RPM times a constant factor. All 3HP 3450 RPM induction motors have essentially the same torque. And all of them are capacitor start and on table saws, they all start unloaded. So they're all essentially the same. You'd have to go to a more powerful motor (say a 5HP) to get more torque.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Didn't intent to derail this topic or say 3HP isn't enough as I think it is (and yes, Mike is correct that a 3hp is a 3hp and at the same speed they have the same torque).

I haven't used the ICS, but I have the PCS. All I can tell you is that for my work, I have yet to need more saw. Definitely powerful enough, well designed, heavy-duty.

Like Mreza said, I'd save the extra cash and spend it on other tools.

John....I sent you a PM

John - I think the PCS versus ICS discussion comes down to whether or not you think you'll need 5HP, and whether or not you need a larger table surface.

I have the PCS. I never feel that I need more HP; I am sure I would like a larger table, but I really don't need it.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

John,
    I have the ICS. I bought it a few months before the PCS was released. I have NO buyers remorse. I've used both. I like the mass of the ICS as well as the larger table. Both are well made saws and both would serve you in good stead. I have a 3 hp motor in my saw. I've not experienced any hesitation on the part of the saw. Whichever saw you choose, I don't think you will be disappointed. Best of luck,
    Tom

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Since you've already decided on a SAWSTOP (congratulations, by the way) ... I would disregard the brand and focus on your present and perceived future needs. If you were comparing Grizzly or Delta, which way would you go .. Contractor/Cabinet ??? Honestly look at all the features offered by both machines, and decide, to the best of your ability, based on those facts. Myself, I almost always over do things just a tad, so I'd likely get the Cabinets saw, but I have used well tuned and properly set up contractor saws for many years with good results.

I have used both the PCS and the ICS...I own a PCS (3 hp) and the place where I take classes (PFW) has an ICS (7hp I believe, but possibly the 5hp). Of course the extra power was nice when sawing enough 3 inch thick hard maple for the entire bench building class! (12 benches in 100% solid hard maple, each about 7 1/2 ft long and 24 inches across on average). They run that saw day after day month after month too.

Of course the motor is mounted on the left hand side on the PCS and the right hand for the PCS...but the only real material difference that I have ever really noticed is that the ICS has a few more inches of table between the front edge and the blade. Since I am only 5'4" tall and have a 33" sleeve length I find the PCS a little bit more comfortable to use. Of course I also don't like to rip full sheets of ply on the table saw if I don't have to, but if you do or plan to do so...those extra few inches can really make a difference. For the extra money you could probably add a festool track saw and track to the arsenal.
    Last edited by Matt Kestenbaum; 11-08-2011 at 9:00 PM. Reason: spelling

I have an ICS and think the extra mass and power serve me well. Though I think I would be almost as well served with the PCS.

One thing to think about though, is that those nice cast iron router table extensions don't fit the ICS. I'm sure this applies to other accessories as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    ... If I had to buy one new NOW I would be leaning towards the PCS
    version and use the extra grand or so I save on other shop equipments but if you have the money and want to buy the best cabinet saw
    then go with the ICS version and you won't look back. ...
    As another ICS owner I'll agree with Mreza on this one. Yes, my 5hp SS ICS is a fantastic saw, but it was very expensive. When I bought mine there wasn't any choice. For most hobbyists the PCS should be more than adequate for their projects.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I own the ICS - it was the only option in 2006. It is massive for a newer saw. I would not trade it for any North American table saws out there. It would take a higher end Felder saw shaper for me to change (700 series or better) and they cost 3X what an ICS costs. Buying today I would probably own the PCS as everyone loves it too.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have an ICS, and it was the only option when I got it. I'm NOT a pro and need it to buy food. The 5 hp is nice, but I really don't think I NEED it. Given the choice, since I'm not a pro, I think I'd get the PCS now...... I guess it boils down to the HP and bigger table and if you want to spend the coins for it. The 5 horse is very nice and smooth. It slows for nothing. I have not used the PCS so I can't say. Not that I have buyers remorse. I love my saw. If you can afford the ICS, no problem, buy it. I seriously doubt you'd say, "I wish I had saved money and gotten the PCS". Now, if you have to stretch your budget to get it, then you may think that down the line.

Good luck in your decision. Whichever you buy, you will not regret it.