Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1" arbor dado blade?

1" arbor dado blade?

Who makes one? I can't seem to find any info on a set of dado blades with a one inch arbor hole. I am not sure if it would be cost effective for me to buy anyway but I wanted to check before I completely passed on the original radial arm saw I was thinking of buying.

Forrest does:

http://www[dot]forrestblades[dot]com/dado.htm

I think others do, too.

I also think many blade companies will drill OUT your 5/8" (or whatever) bore, for a reasonable fee.

Ask Bobby at Woodworkers Tool Works- www.woodworkerstoolworks.com-, he may have a set in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    Forrest does:

http://www[dot]forrestblades[dot]com/dado.htm

I think others do, too.

I also think many blade companies will drill OUT your 5/8" (or whatever) bore, for a reasonable fee.

I was going to do something like that but I talked to two machine shops and both recommended NOT doing that. One was very insistent that the dado stack would not be balanced well enough. I also spoke to someone at Wm. J. Redmond and son (they sell original saw equipment) and he said he didn't think it was a very good idea and also said he didn't think my 8" dado blade would make it very far past the motor head, if it made it at all..

I'm gonna check out forester and the other place mentioned in the thread though. thanks

Keith, Freud makes a set for a RAS with a 1" arbor, SD 510 (10") or SD512) 12". The 12" set is $239.00 from InternationalTool.

Note that the RAS dado sets are not the same as the tablesaw sets. The Freud rep told me that you want a negative hook angle on the blade, or they will climb cut and could get you in trouble.
    Last edited by Scott T Smith; 03-08-2011 at 6:53 PM.

Keith, I have a 1"set from Forrest that they made up for me, but I think the price was North of what Scott paid a bit. It has lasted a long, long time though, and the cuts are still good, to give credit where credit is due.

I also have a Freud 10" in a tablesaw, and it is a good set as well.

You are correct, you can not just bore a bigger hole. The blade needs to be hammered.

In case you missed Scott's note: They are not the same as a tablesaw dado blade!

I just bought an Onsrud 10" dado set on eBay for my big Rockwell RAS with 1" arbor. The seller auctions these regularly. You can get the set for less than $100. These are brand new dado sets, as are his other Onsrud saw blades. I also bought 14" combinaton and fine cutoff blades at one heck of a bargain price!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 03-08-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Chip, PM me that site if you would, I'm always needing something.

I tried to PM you an auction site the other day that had tons of old iron, but your box was full. I didn't want to post it on the board because I wa bidding on a couple of things. I really "NEED" a pin router you know........

I didn't get either thing I was bidding on, my computor decided to lock up on me at the wrong moment. Maybe I should buy a new computer. Na....

I order FS Tools stuff in any bore desired.

In addition a good tool shop such as FS will bore your existing dado stack for you................It works perfectly, I have a 6" set bored to 30mm with pin holes.........Rod.

I have a 12" Amana set that I got off ebay years ago for under $100 delivered. It has been an excellent set for me!

I have a 8" Freud set (I am a big fan of Freud blades) for a 5/8" arbor and the Amana cut is as good or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpenter Mark View Post
    Ask Bobby at Woodworkers Tool Works- www.woodworkerstoolworks.com-, he may have a set in stock.
    Called Bobby. He was very helpful. If I get a ten inch dado (Need to save up some $$$) I'll probably be getting it from them.

PM sent Larry. Too bad I missed that auction, but what I don't know won't hurt me!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Ridge Carbide makes the 10" one I have for my 16" Delta RAS.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Keith, I was just wrestling with the same issue myself. I had to get a new 1" bore dado for my new saw, and finding a compatible dado was a little harder than looking for an 8". I ended up getting the Ridge Carbide Dado Master in 10" with a 1" bore. They, like Forrest, will do a custom bore on many if not all of the blades they sell, though the Ridges are considerably cheaper. Freud also recently added a 12" and 10" dado set to their great Super Dado line, and those come with a 1" bore, though they seem to be readily available from Woodworkers Supply. Amana also makes a few 1" bore dados, though their better Prestige line only offers a 8" stack with 1" bore. Schmidt in New Jersey makes great products and I was told by them that their dado stacks are basically Forrest Dado Kings. They also offer various sizes and do custom bores.

Chip, I've been looking at those Onsruds on eBay throughout my search for a 10"/1" dado set. Have you gotten yours yet? How does it work?