Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1" arbor dado blade?

Chip.... I, too, am looking for a 10" dado set for my 12"/1" RAS. I just pulled up that eBay seller and his Onsrud blades. It looks like that 10" dado set has quite a bit of positive rake (if the picture he shows is the actual dado set). If you have received your blade, could you put a straightedge to it and see if the teeth are negative, positive, or drastically positive like the picture shows? I sure wouldn't want to use a positive rake set with it's multiple blades pulling the saw head toward you. That's how RAS horror stories start.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Chip.... I, too, am looking for a 10" dado set for my 12"/1" RAS. I just pulled up that eBay seller and his Onsrud blades. It looks like that 10" dado set has quite a bit of positive rake (if the picture he shows is the actual dado set). If you have received your blade, could you put a straightedge to it and see if the teeth are negative, positive, or drastically positive like the picture shows? I sure wouldn't want to use a positive rake set with it's multiple blades pulling the saw head toward you. That's how RAS horror stories start.
    Sorry all, for very delayed response.

The Onsrud set IS as pictured in the ebay auction. According to Onsrud, all their 1" arbor dado sets have 14 degree positive hook with 18 degree relief. It appears about the same as Freud's SD310 dado set. FWIW, for $75, I will make the dado set work on my big 7.5hp Rockwell RAS. The set is very well made and razor sharp. After using crappy Sears wobble dados back in the day, I am not easily intimidated. This Onsrud cuts glass-smooth, same as my old Freud 8" (positive rake) Safety Dado set, before the newer Super Dado (negative rake) sets came into being.

I feel that the heavy saw motor/carriage (almost 100 lbs.) of the Rockwell 18" RAS, cancels much of the tendency of a saw blade or dado set to self-feed into the wood. A coarse tooth-count contributes to self-feeding. More teeth take smaller bites.

Nobody says an RAS blade must cut on the pull stroke with the blade's rotation. There's no law against "stiff-arming" it--cutting on the push stroke, against the rotation of the blade same as a table saw. .
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 03-18-2011 at 1:13 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I owned a Craftsman RAS for 30 years, and always pushed through the cut. Never a hint of a problem. To me, pull cutting seemed dangerous.

John

As an item of interest, I see the Grizzly is selling an 8" dado set w/ 1" arbor for $40 on their 2011 flier. No idea about the pedigree of that set.

If anyone is looking for a 12" dado set with a 1" bore for a RAS, International Tool is having a 4 day sale on the Freud SD512 super dado set for $216 with free shipping. I believe the sale ends on Nov 13, 2011.

Bob DeRoeck