Thread: Progress so far on the fishtank stand...

Progress so far on the fishtank stand...

Moving along smoothly considering this is my first project.

I cut up 2x4s for the frame and screwed it all together. It didnt like the rounded edges on the boards so cut them all into squares:

I used the beadlock system to join all the boards together. I wish I had just bought the pockethole system but I already have the beadlock so I used what I had. This is the front of the stand. There will be two door on the front:

Here is the sides waiting for the glue to dry. Im going to cut a rabbit out of the back and insert the walnut plywood:

Here is one of the sides laying in front of the walnut plywood.

We are going to use a cherry colored finish for all of the poplar. There will be cove molding im going to make on my tablesaw for the base and top.

Thumbs up

Looking Good Robert!! Can't wait to see the finish go on it.

BTW, how do you like the beadlock system?? I've been debating if i should add it to my joinery arsenal

Keep us posted!
    Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

The beadlock system is just ok so far. Im still getting use to lining it up right. I used a brand new drill bit and its still a very tight fit. Its definitely quick and easy though. Just takes some time getting used to it. I made some more progress. Here is a near finishing picture of the sides:

I ran out of clamps! I am gluing two board together to make the cove molding thats going to go on the bottom and top. After it dries its going to be run through the tablesaw:

Robert,
    Looks great and it's gonna be built like a tank. An M1A1 not a fish tank! Can't wait to see the finished product. I'm a fellow fish guy. Always interesting to cross hobbies. When you get ready to start getting supplies and filter and such go to WWW.Thatfishplace.com and request a catalog. The best prices anywhere. Usually about half what you see in the fish stores and excellent service.
    John

Ill pass that onto my wife. The tank was bought as Xmas present and now im forced to build a stand for it . She does the buying of supplies for it. The frame was a little overbuilt, but it was fun screwing together all those 2x4s.

You can never have too much support for a fish tank! If those things sag at all they WILL leak. A guy at work had a 1000 gallon salt water tank start leaking, talk about a mess! He had to hire someone to come in and fix it that specialized in salt water tanks. The tank was too big to be drained and they can not fluctuate in temperature...

What I am saying is, you will be happy with the strength!

My fish tank stand is what got me into woodworking. I didn't like any of the stands in the stores so my buddy (woodworker) told me to design what I wanted and he would help me make it. Now I have a full basement shop full of tools, come a long way since then.
    Jim