Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing T-track

Quote Originally Posted by Gary McKown View Post
    One way around the installation of T track. Dado slots on a substrate (I used ½" BB ply) about 3/16" deep and wide enough for the toilet-type jig bolts. Cover substrate with glued hardboard (I used ¼") with spacings over the dados for the bolts. All the thingies on the right are concepts for "hand-holds" on the jig.
    hey gary...didn't one of the wood working mags feature a plan like that using hardboard to create the slots?

If you use epoxy thn rough up the metal surfaces with sandpaper first.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    hey gary...didn't one of the wood working mags feature a plan like that using hardboard to create the slots?
    Could be, although I must have seen it on one of the WW forums because I haven't subscribed to any of the mags in years. It has been long enough that I really do not remember, though. I certainly am not about to claim credit for the idea, just the implementation.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems there are many ways to install t-track. I haven't heard anyone say that they installed it a certain way that did not work.

I chose to drill all the way through and use flat head machine screws and nuts. The nuts sit in counter bores.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lee Valley sells a t-track with a lip on the bottom so that it can't come out of the wood. See here:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...76,61994,52400

I would think that it would be much better than screws.
    Cam-Saskatoon Canada

Looks great, Mark. I like the movable stop and shop-made holddowns.

Mike

Thanks Mike. There is a little lifting of the fence on the blade side when you tighten down on the hold-downs. After messing with it a bit I found that I didn't have to tighten it much for the hold-down to do it's job. I'm going to stick a little sandpaper on the end of the hold-downs. I think the sandpaper will add hold-IN power. I think I was cranking it down hard so the piece wouldn't slip out.

Cameron, Those Lee Valley T-tracks are a good idea. Maybe the next jig will get those.

Mark