Thread: Noise Cancelling Headphone Deals?

Noise Cancelling Headphone Deals?

Two years ago I followed a thread here and bought some Logitech Noise Cancelling headphones for $36. They finally broke (the plastic, not the electronics) and I am looking around.

Any recommendations? I loved the noise cancelling feature and I really don't care about the music-playing feature.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian - I am right there with ya. I remember that thread and liked the first set so much that I bought a second - they were an exceptional value. The plastic broke on my first set and I now use the backup set, but would like to have another backup in waiting. However, I want something that sounds good with my iPod/iPhone as well (just like the Logitechs). Sadly, those are no longer available. Sure would like to find something in that price range though. Those Logitechs sound almost as good as my $250 Bose, but I'd rather use something less expensive in the shop.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I had some that I bought at a gun store. I got the best they had. I think they reduced noise by 19 decibles or something like that. these would amplifiy sounds that were at a low level so you could hear people talk or a phone ring (if no load noises were present) and reduce all harmful noise.

At one time I had my hearing checked by a DR. of audioligy and discussed with her at length about hearing protection because I run lawn equipment. She advised me to use ear plugs instead. The squishy kind that you smoosh and insert and then they expand. Even the cheap ones have a better rating than the best muffs.

But if your bent on muffs for some reason or another go to a gun shop.

I used the Pro-Ears for years -- they are made to supress gun shot moise -- and they worked great for wookworking. I also used them when I worked in a shop environment. But last year the electronics died (scratchy noises all of the time in one ear) and I didn't want to spend the $160 for new ones (but I see from their site that they have a version that is only $130) -- so I tried the Ryobi electronic ones ... and I am happy with them ...

The Ryobi ones take the sound down like the Pro-Ears and are just as comfortable ... and only run $70 -- the battery seems to last a long time ... meaning weeks of several hous a day ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just did a google search for "noise cancelling ear muffs" in the shopping channel and I got a number of hits. Ranging in price from $19 to $139. While my wallet would love the $19, I rather enjoy being able to hear. The reality of what would work probably lies in the middle of the price range.

So far I have just started researching what is for sale to see if I can't find something good. Or at least good enough. If anyone has any recommendations on things that are either good or things that are best avoided that would be helpful too.

Thanks,
    Joshua

I am a Bose QC2 user myself...But these John Deere NC Headphones get rave reviews on the tractor boards I am involved in. A good friend has them also and speaks highly of them.
    Last edited by Ken Deckelman; 03-14-2011 at 5:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Two years ago I followed a thread here and bought some Logitech Noise Cancelling headphones for $36. They finally broke (the plastic, not the electronics) and I am looking around.

Any recommendations? I loved the noise cancelling feature and I really don't care about the music-playing feature.
    You want to skip the noise cancelling feature unless you REALLY need it (i.e. be able to hear soft sounds around you at a gun range, etc.). I use noise BLOCKING headphones. These are essentially earplugs with headphones built in (i.e. no active electronic noise cancellation, etc.). I find this style ideal for office, airline, & lawn mowing use. They block FAR more sound than the typical cheap active options (35dB+) + they will have better sound quality.

I would looks at the following options:
    - Klipsch Image S2
    - Sennheiser CX300 II
    - Denon AH-C360
    - Etymotic ER6 or MC5
    - Skullcandy Titan
    Last edited by Greg Portland; 03-14-2011 at 2:44 PM.