Thread: Back from Williamsburg/New Project

Back from Williamsburg/New Project

Having just returned from Mecca (otherwise known as Working Wood in 18th Century) I am all enthused about trying my hand at an 18th Century desk. See picture. I'll need some nice Walnut sawn into veneer for the drawers. Lonnie Bird who wrote the article on the desk sawed 4 pieces of veener from a crotch board to produce the drawer fronts. Does anybody know a source for such a thing? I'd really like to get someone to saw the veneers as I'm not sure my equipment is up to the task. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18th century nut --- Carl

Carl -

That will be a beautiful piece. You might try Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford, PA (1-888-814-0007) for the crotch walnut.

Ted

Carl...
    If you use ebay try there. I saw a few very nice lots of veneers go cheaply recently. None would have been long enough for your project but if your not in a rush something might pop up. I would also try these guys, I havent ordered anything from them but they were in my veneer bookmarks, but they were recomended by other people for marquetry suppliers.

http://www.certainlywood.com/woodmenu.htm

http://www.wood-veneers.com/veneer_tones_D-3.htm

Rob

Carl,
    I enjoyed very much the conversation and dinner in Williamsbrg when you were here with Dave and Roger. After spending the evening with Keith, his family, and Aaron, it is obvious why SMC operates with such high standards. I'm sure you agree.

I know your time spent at the case work seminar was great. I saw the case you are going to build in Lonnie Birds home last Sept. It is without a doubt one of the most exquisite pieces I have ever seen. I will look forward to seeing pictures of your work next year in Wmsbrg. (or before)

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Hi Carl-

I see that you got the inspiration you needed from the conference. I'm meanwhile trying to get out from under the backlog of tools to be made which grew during my absence. I'm now backordered 10 hammers and don't know when I'll get the chance to start on the cabriole legs for the corner table out of tiger maple. The blanks have been sitting on my saw for 6 weeks and I still haven't even drawn the profile on them from my template. I thouroughly enjoyed getting the chance to see you again though maybe next year I'll have a bit more time to spend woith you. This year the meeting was unusually hectic for me. I enjoyed getting the chance to see your portfolio. your son can photograph my work any thime he wants.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Ted,Rob,Bill,and Dave.

Ted: Hearne looks like a real find.
    Rob: I've done business with Certainly before, and they're good. Don't know if they can supply pieces from same board till I ask. Thanks.
    Bill: It was a fun evening. Certainly hope we can do it again. If I do do the desk I probably won't have pictures much before January. I'll bet the Lonnie Bird model is a wonder.
    Dave: You sure seemed to be busy. You shouldn't do such good work. Hope you had less trouble getting home than I had getting to airport. 2 1/2 hours for 16 miles and missed the plane.
    18th century nut --- Carl