Thread: InkJet -Vs- Dye-Sub

Thumbs up InkJet -Vs- Dye-Sub

I did a sample DyeSub (MyTransferSource) then found the same graphic on-line and used my old InkJet printer and transfer paper from Office Depot.

The Dye Sub has no feel & is part of the material - The colors were not very vibrant - but a good product.
    The InkJet has a slight feel to it - Colors VERY vibrant - I'm very impressed.

The shirt is about to go through several washes as I test the ware of the InkJet sample. The shirt is 50/50.

I was going to purchase a laser for CLTT, but I'm not sure it's necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim,
    If the shirt is 50/50 then that explains why the dye sub image isn't very vibrant. Most of the color will wash out as well, you really need 100% polyester for dye sub to work. With the right material I can get some pretty amazing results with dye sub.

Gary

Gary is exactly right. The 50/50 shirt is not the right material for die sub. (Hanes used to make a 50/50 that would work because it was poly on the outside and cotton on the inside but it was discontinued a couple of years ago)

Inkjet transfers will fade quickly and will not have the color intensity of either dye sub or CLT. Remember, CLT can be applied to nearly any substrate. That said, dye sub will give you the best color of all.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Just to add what's already been said, dye sub will only stick to the polyester. So in your 50/50 example, expect 50% of the ink to wash away because there is nothing for it to fuse itself into. If you don't get vibrant colors with dye sub, you are doing something wrong. Wrong time, wrong heat, wrong paper, or something.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks guys. I love SawmillCreek! It really bends the learning curve in favor of novices like me. :-)
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim,
    although you will find a lot of experience here, you should check out the dye sub forum at dyesub dot org.

Gary

Plus with IQ Dye Sub Inks you can select "VIVID" in the printer settings.... For me it makes some colors pop and faces orange. So with faces you should use Regular not Vivid.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Tim
    I got an Okidata 3400 color laser printer new for $250 including shipping a few months ago so the price to get started in CLT isn't too bad.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

I am about to buy a Ricoh 3300 for dye sub. But to add to the topic on inkjet. If you print it with Canon pigmented ink like on my IPF8000-44", the longevity is unbelievable. I printed some transfers for a couple of cotton t-shirts last summer. My wife has worn these things and they have been washed a lot of times. They still look good. Used Jet Pro Soft Stretch paper with my Hotronix Swinger heat press.

The cost for getting into dye sub with the Ricoh printer is low also..$450.00 with a complete dye sub ink set. I want the capability of doing hard goods and not have the fear that the color is going to wash or wear off.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Larry

Is that Canon or pigmented ink available for all inkjet printers?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Has anyone played with Chromablast inks for textile transfer to 100% cotton?

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!