Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17" urethane bandsaw tires?

Question 17" urethane bandsaw tires?

I picked up a damaged Grizzly G0513X2 at the Muncy PA tent sale a week ago. I have been going thru it and striaghtening out bent doors, aligning the wheels and figuring out ways to work around a broken table. So far, so good. I have the fence mounted, I used a length of bar stock to extent the table to catch the fence guide. I would like to replace the tires with urethane, and I want to stay away fromGrizzly/oem, and go with a better tire, if I stick with Grizzly's tires, I might as well leave these ones on. The wheels are 17", can I buy a 16" and stretch them, or maybe 18" tires and not stretch them as much?

Thanks
    Last edited by Jack Wilson; 05-27-2012 at 7:48 PM.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack

You can buy them at Grizzly. There don't seem to be a lot of complaints about the stock tires, though. If you do replace the originals, I'd be interested to hear if you notice an improvement with the upgrades.
    Last edited by david brum; 05-27-2012 at 7:12 PM.

Thanks Dave, but thats exactly what I DON'T want to do. I already have Grizzly tires on, with them off there is a lite vibration or variation I can feel, but with the tires on it is much more pronounced. I would consider someone elses tires, but not Grizzlys.

Jack

The guy on eBay that sells the orange tires everyone loves (they are all the same) can make ones any size you need his phone numbet is 908*241*2885

They are also about as cheap as anyone sells them.

I wouldn't bother to replace the ones on it unless there are issues, the urethane advantage is longevity and lack of set, nothing more.

PS curious since I have never been to one of their tent sales, how much did you pay?

PS started my post then took the dog out so I missed the issue you were having with the tires, so replacing them does make sense.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Forget urethane. Buy rubber tires. You'll have to crown them, but that's the proper way of setting up a good bandsaw, anyway. Guys who work on rebuilding old bandsaws like myself would never use a urethane tire, and there are plenty of good reasons, some of which you are already experiencing.

If you need a source, give Bobby a call a Woodworker's Toolworks in Wisconsin. There are plenty of online discussions regarding the proper installation and crowning of a proper rubber tire.

Jeff

Van Huskey, thank you, didn't know that about mr. eBay. Low down on the saw, both upper and lower doors were bent and needed some straightening. The tension knob was busted, the upper door hold-close knob was busted and gone, and the entire upper blade guide assembly is missing as well as the miter gauge, and lastly the table is broke. Sounds hopeless doesn't it. Many of the parts are reasonably priced, the upper blade guide assembly is $74. The table on the other hand is $324, kinda defeats the great deal @ that price! So what did I pay? $400. Price started @ $575, they took an extra hundred off, (now $475) when I protested about the blade guide, but could go NO lower, I said fine, make it $400 and I'll buy it right now. The was going to lose his job over it, but he agreed. Anyway I was like the 6th-8th person over to the bandsaws first thing in the morning, and they were all taken except 1 which was WAY over my budget. I hung around for a few hoiurs and periodically went back over to the band saws. Some guy claimed several, took his time to choose and then released claim to the other(s). So at least this one became available, if others, I missed them, this was the last one, and was a model I had been considering though I had hoped to get one in better condition. So short story long, I paid $400, but need to spend $74 for the blade guide, $1 for the hold-close knob and $15 if I want the exact same crank handle for the blade tension. I'm debating on the table, it works right now, just no resale value.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jack Wilson; 05-28-2012 at 7:54 AM.

Jack

Jack,

When/if you have the table off. Can you measure the dimensions of the the trunnion mounting hole where the table mounts? Center of hole to center of hole, front to back and side to side? Im hoping to use the cast iron trunnion from the 513 series on something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Jack,

When/if you have the table off. Can you measure the dimensions of the the trunnion mounting hole where the table mounts? Center of hole to center of hole, front to back and side to side? Im hoping to use the cast iron trunnion from the 513 series on something else.
    I will get back to you with those numbers Kevin.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    Forget urethane. Buy rubber tires. You'll have to crown them, but that's the proper way of setting up a good bandsaw, anyway. Guys who work on rebuilding old bandsaws like myself would never use a urethane tire, and there are plenty of good reasons, some of which you are already experiencing.

If you need a source, give Bobby a call a Woodworker's Toolworks in Wisconsin. There are plenty of online discussions regarding the proper installation and crowning of a proper rubber tire.

Jeff
    This has come up several times lately on several forums you do NOT put thick rubber (to be crowned tire) on a CROWNED WHEEL. Most if not all Asian saws have wheels with the crown built into the wheel designed for a thin compliant tire they conforms to the tires crown. American old iron saws have flat wheels or T-track wheels that need a thick tire which needs to be crowned. Euro saws use flat tires on flat wheels the are not to be crowned. You just need to have the right tire for the right wheel.

Bobby is great though!

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

downsized_0528021416.jpgdownsized_0528021406.jpgKevin, I sent you a PM, here are the pics...

Jack

11. Any one of you tried the ceramic guides for this saw? Are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wilson View Post
    I picked up a damaged Grizzly G0513X2 at the Muncy PA tent sale a week ago. I have been going thru it and striaghtening out bent doors, aligning the wheels and figuring out ways to work around a broken table. So far, so good. I have the fence mounted, I used a length of bar stock to extent the table to catch the fence guide. I would like to replace the tires with urethane, and I want to stay away fromGrizzly/oem, and go with a better tire, if I stick with Grizzly's tires, I might as well leave these ones on. The wheels are 17", can I buy a 16" and stretch them, or maybe 18" tires and not stretch them as much?

Thanks
    I've had my 17"HD for many moons replaced the stock tires with griz replacements no issues what soever call em you will have them in a couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lewis 509 View Post
    Any one of you tried the ceramic guides for this saw? Are they any good?
    Are you talking about the Grizzly ceramic "Euro" guides which I think are discontinued or the Laguna retrofits?

14. Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Are you talking about the Grizzly ceramic "Euro" guides which I think are discontinued or the Laguna retrofits?
    I'm not really sure. I was just looking online for some replacement guides for the saw. Probably those are retrofits.

Scott, the Laguna guides are excellent, probably the best bandsaw guides mades, I wouldn't bother with the Grizzly cermic guides. Which guides do you have now, Grizzly has but several types on that series of saw over the years.