Thread: 1942 MOAK 32" "Special" Band saw restoration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1942 MOAK 32" "Special" Band saw restoration

Hello All.... I was asked to put this machine up here on it's own thread.... I did this a while back and blew my cork because I linked this to another forum I belong to and that is not accepted here... I apologize to all of you if you remember - I just was a little annoyed with having to do it all over again.... My appologies... I respect the rules here... So anyways... I acquired this last year from a member on another forum.. it came from Michigan and is a rare BS from what I have read. They ,made all but 21 of these and I have only seen 2 others .... where the others are.... who knows..... When I got the band saw - the bottom wheel and the shaft on the huge 3hp/3ph motor had to be machined...that was done on the Kingston lathe (picture) they originally put some shims in to get it balanced but it was not good... and was causing a slight hop in the top wheel so I sent the rotor and the BS lower wheel to O'Connell Machinery- great group of machinist-I have quite a few pictures to put up so bare with me... The Band Saw wheel was mounted on the Bullard vertical Mill (picture)for machining the center for the steel sleeve bushing.... they froze the sleeve bushing in Liquid Nitrogen and then press fit into the hub...and tapped 2 -5/32nd hex nuts in to keep it in place. (picture) and then when I got back to the shop I reinstalled the rotor back in the motor ,installed the bell housing,tightened everything down and installed the lower band saw wheel back on (picture).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-07-2012 at 7:06 PM.

But this all started when it arrived here in Buffalo,NY

here are the move pictures.....

the move

some more....

In the shop...

And finally in the shop ......
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 03-14-2011 at 3:56 PM.

It's been a while since I have been on the creek and this 1942 is getting a complete restoration... I have developed a steel base assembly for her to pull her out when I need to use her. I am making the same for the Oliver 117A 30" band saw and the American #1 16" "Buzz" jointer. When you only have a 490sqft shop and some rather large machinery,you have to get creative...

Posting it up tonight,

I hope all is well with all of you,

B,

I'm not getting the pictures. Dave

I can view the pictures only in the first post. The next 3 posts I get the dreaded red X's.
    Wood'N'Scout

Man do I want to see the pictures!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

pictures please!!

Post Thread #1 #2 and #3 are all visable......?

I can see them with no problems Gents.....if you can't let me know...

Well here is the 1/2" steel plate base assembly - PPG primer/paint /HVLP ...... hard rubber 800 lb casters- dbl race ball bearing swivel and all casters are needle bearings for the shafts.

B,

Post the base

more of the base....

B,

Great lookingsaw! The pics in the first post and last post work fine the ones in the middle don't, red X.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Brain, Great saw. The tables look like mirrors! What's the little spoked wheel by the lower guides?