Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: 1942 MOAK 32" "Special" Band saw restoration

Gorgeous, one of the coolest "resto-mods" I have seen. It really is gorgeous. One of the things I like the most about that saw is the guide bar counter weight, small detail I know but it is just neat, and the Moak on the blade guard.

The jointer looks so small when it is in pieces! The work you put into the guard pattern alone...

The planer looks so out of place. I don't think you ever mentioned a planer in line for restoration, is that the next search? Oliver, Newman, Buss...?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

No Van...
    I like my 15" Jet finish planer and it has served me very well without any problems. I really don't want a 2-3000 pound 24" planer, it's impractical for me and the width would never be used... most I ever run is 12-14" and it isn't that often. It's not OWWM but neither are my drivers,drill, miter saw, router. Bicq jointer, ....etc..etc..etc.
    Some of those older machines are NOT finish planers (as you know), not to say that you can't get a good finish surface but they are more so geared for production and mass quantities of continuous product-sizing.
    I am not a "production" geared company...quite the opposite...one of a kind creations for the most part..

If my operation were of a different nature, larger shop.... you bet I would....

Thanks for the compliment...

B,

Brian, I understand. I wasn't dissing the Jet, 4 post planers are quite solid machines. I just figured with the rest of your machines an arn planer might be in your future. If you ever do go that route it sounds like an Oliver 399 would be right up your alley, nice compact (though heavy) 18" finish planer.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.