Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shortening power cords

Shortening power cords

In a recent post somebody mentioned that he shortened the power cords on hand held corded power tools so he wouldn't have to coil the cords around the tools. I took his advice and does it ever clean up the shelves where I store my corded equipment. I cut the cords about 6 inches from the tool and added good quality male plugs on three routers,a biscuit joiner and a circular saw. I kept two of the longer cords and added female ends. I keep these two extentions plugged in and coiled near my work bench. Sure seems neater and lower maintenance.
    Last edited by Robert Chapman; 03-16-2011 at 9:23 PM.

This post reminded me of a couple carpenters I worked with a number of years ago: one cut all his cords to about 6" and always used an extension cord, the other always made his cords extra long so he didn't have to use an extension cord!

My DeWalt DW618 has a detachable cord. I would be willing to pay an extra $12.84 per tool if they would just make all tools with detachable cords such that they could all use the same cord.

But I'm too much of a chicken to cut my cords.

Many of my tools end up with 6 inch cords through attrition

I have to agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    In a recent post somebody mentioned that he shortened the power cords on hand held corded power tools so he wouldn't have to coil the cords around the tools. I took his advice and does it ever clean up the shelves where I store my corded equipment. I cut the cords about 6 inches from the tool and added good quality male plugs on three routers,a biscuit joiner and a circular saw. I kept two of the longer cords and added female ends. I keep these two extentions plugged in and coiled near my work bench. Sure seems neater and lower maintenance.
    C'est Moi - welcome to the dark side.

C'mon, Phil - take the one you use the least and jump into the lake....water's fine.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

So, related to the other thread about the 'plastic thing' at the end of the cord - which I never recalled, until I remembered that my ROS has one... any worries about lopping that off in lieu of a shorter cord? or could that plastic thing be added to your 'universal extension cord' and not aadversely effect other tools?
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

You could put the plastic thing on the short end of your cord or on the long end used as an extension. I left my plastic things off and nothing bad has happened to me yet. Inside my plastic things was a white plastic strip that looks like one of those Breathrite things you put on your nose.
    Wait....maybe I'm not breathing quite as easily as before.
    Last edited by Robert Chapman; 03-17-2011 at 7:35 AM.

I seem to recall a time when it was pretty normal for tools to come with really short cords, no? You're right, though. It seems like everything is 10' long these days. That's great for shop use, but stinks for on-site use.

Bosch is especially liberal with their cords. I have to almost entirely mummify my palm router before i put it away

Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    Bosch is especially liberal with their cords. I have to almost entirely mummify my palm router before i put it away

Yeah - I got really annoyed at doing that - especially with the routers going in their drawer - taking them out got to be like untangling fishing line - got ticked off one day, turned around and grabbed the dykes almost without thinking. WHACK.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    You could put the plastic thing on the short end of your cord or on the long end used as an extension. I left my plastic things off and nothing bad has happened to me yet. Inside my plastic things was a white plastic strip that looks like one of those Breathrite things you put on your nose.
    Wait....maybe I'm not breathing quite as easily as before.
    Those are anti-theft tags for the retail stores. Collect 'em all, put them all on one of the cut-off tails, toss the tail in the box with the other random electrical junk.

Portable tool cords could be shorter. Machinery cords should be a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Portable tool cords could be shorter. Machinery cords should be a lot longer.
    In a perfect world, a swap would work, here

Personally, I wish the manufacturers would just make a male plug recessed into the body of the tool, so that a regular extension cord could just plug in. That way, replacement cords are readily available in every length, and the tools themselves would be "cordless".
    CT